8 - Please, Do Talk About Me When I'm Gone

"I was afraid she wouldn't get it done in time for the memorial." Aria said as she and Spencer pushed a big, wooden box.

"And this was someone from your mom's arm gallery?" Hanna asked from the couch.

"Right." Aria said.

"Where is your mom?" Emily asked.

"There's an apartment above the gallery so she's staying there. For now." Aria said.

"Can we open it now? I wanna see it." Katherine said, looking at the box.

"Yeah, get a screwdriver and start helping. We'll see it quicker." Spencer said.

"But that's work." Katherine said.

"Kat, screwdriver. Now." Aria said and Katherine groaned but started helping.

"Did anyone call Shelly Leonard?" Emily asked, getting the last corner.

"Done. And I told her if she plays anything depressing, I will kick in her cello." Spencer said.

"Oh, what about the program?" Aria asked.

"Almost done." Katherine said.

"But we should finish it before Ali's brother gets here." Spencer said.

"What?" Katherine asked, snapping her head up.

"Ali's brother is coming over. We're all gonna talk about the memorial." Spencer said.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Katherine asked.

"I thought I did." Spencer said.

"When is he coming?" Katherine asked.

"Tonight." Spencer said.

"Tonight? Like tonight, tonight?" Katherine asked.

"Yeah." Spencer said, looking at her best friend weird. "He wants to see us in the morning."

"Okay, you know what? I barely remember Jason." Hanna said.

"We didn't know him, he was just Ali's older brother down the hall." Aria said.

"Behind a closed door." Spencer said.

"With his hardcore punk music vibrating the floorboards." Emily said.

"How did he get into an Ivy League school?" Aria asked.

"I don't know. It must've been affirmative action for goths and emos." Spencer said.

"Jason wasn't emo." Katherine said without thinking.

Before they could comprehend that Katherine had talked they got the box open.

"It's beautiful." Aria said.

"Pedestal's already out there, next to the bench. This goes up Friday morning." Katherine said.

"Do you think Jason will like it?" Emily asked.

"Yeah, he will." Katherine said.

"Years from now, people are gonna see this memorial, and, and that's all that they'll ever know about Ali. She'll be the girl that they dedicated the bench too and we'll all be gone, but Ali will still be remembered." Aria said.

"That's immortality, my darlings." Spencer said.

"I wish we could just choose the age that we wanted to be and just stay there." Aria said, as they all tanned in the sun in skimpy bikinis, except for Hanna who had a T-Shirt on and Emily who wore a one piece.