16 - Je Suis Une Amie

"Is my chemistry book over there?" Emily asked.

"I don't see it." Spencer said, staring out the window.

"I don't think it would be outside, Spence." Katherine said, standing up to see what Spencer was looking at.

"What happened to the Cavanaugh's mailbox? Someone hit it?" Spencer asked.

"I'm over this town, everyone's treating Toby like he's a disease." Katherine said.

"It's not the first time. And I'm sure it wasn't an accident." Emily said.

"Wait, people constantly do that? That's so messed up." Katherine said.

"Every time I come home, Toby's out there cleaning up some new mess and please don't say he deserves it." Emily said.

"I wasn't gonna say that." Spencer said.

"Really? Because almost every word that comes out of your mouth is trash talking Toby." Katherine said.

"I haven't said in anything in days, Kat." Spencer said. "Is that it?" She said, pointing underneath the chair.

"Thanks." Emily said, picking it up.

"There's Toby. I should go help, bye." Katherine said, starting to walk out of the room.

"Wait, guys, do you still think that somebody framed him?" Spencer asked.

"Yes." Katherine said.

"Toby?" Emily asked and Spencer nodded. "Do we really wanna have this fight right now? You can go, Kat. We'll see you at school."

"Alright, see you." Katherine said, walking out. "Can I help?" She asked Toby as she stepped off of Emily's porch and walked over to him.

"Sure." Toby said, handing her some tools so she could help fix the mailbox.

"How are you doing?" Katherine asked, as she got to work.

"Fine, I guess. I've never been liked in this town but now I'm hated." Toby said.

"Everyone will realize that they were wrong soon, I promise." Katherine said.

...

"Are you reading that fast or fanning yourself?" Spencer asked as Hanna flipped page after page.

"Fan me too, it's so hot in here." Katherine said, moving to be by Hanna.

"What? Oh, sorry." Hanna said, noticing that Katherine was next to her now. Katherine laid her head down and closed her eyes, she desperately needed a nap. But she fell off the edge of the couch when Hanna got up and left.

"Ouch." Katherine said, getting back up and on the couch.

...

Katherine caught up with Spencer in the hall and went to Ian's office with her.

"Hey, you're a little early. Hey, Kat." Ian said.

"I just wanted to tell you that I'm not coming to practice today." Spencer said.

"Why not?" Ian asked.

"I have another commitment." Spencer said.

"You know, why don't you come in, close the door." Ian said.

Katherine made a move to go inside the office but Spencer held her arm and pulled her back.

"I can't stay." Spencer said.

"No, come in." Ian said. Spencer sighed and let go of Katherine as they walked inside the office. "You know, what are you trying to pull here, Spencer? You're gonna tell your parents you can't stand to be on the same field with me, so you're quitting the team?"