24 - The Goodbye Look

The five girls looked around them as a door slammed. 

"Did things just get incredibly worse?" Aria asked. 

"I can't believe this. Ian's dead." Emily said. 

"Clearly not." Katherine said, tears blurring her vision but she refused to let them fall. 

"Zombies don't text. He is alive somewhere." Hanna said. 

"I have to get this phone home before Melissa realizes it's gone." Spencer said, grabbing Katherine's arm and walking them away. 

"Okay, you put it back and then what do we do?" Emily asked, making Spencer stop and turn around, her hand still wrapped around Katherine's arm. 

"Do we call the cops?" Aria asked. 

"Absolutely not." Katherine said, her mind going straight to the idea of Jason possibly being put in handcuffs. 

"Oh, yeah, because that always works out so well for us." Hanna said, rolling her eyes at Aria's stupid idea. 

"Why is Ian texting Melissa?" Aria asked. 

"And why is Melissa answering him?" Hanna asked. 

"I don't know, maybe because that's his wife and he's her husband?" Katherine said, clearly annoyed. 

"But is she answering? I mean, we don't know how long this has been going on." Emily said. 

"Spencer, look, you've gotta find out what Ian told Melissa. You're the only one who can find out what he wants." Aria said. 

"Stop putting so much pressure on her. She can't solve everything." Katherine said, glaring at the other girls. 

"Kat's right. Aria, Spencer isn't the only one that can find out what Ian wants." Emily said. 

"No." Katherine said, her head tilting to the side as she took in what Emily was saying. 

"Let's get out of here." Spencer said, dragging Katherine out with her as a clattering sound on the roof got louder. 

"Let's finish this in the morning, okay? I'm cold, damp, and scared. We can talk at school." Hanna said, as they walked towards Spencer's house. 

"We can't talk at school, remember?" Aria said. 

"Our stupid therapist banned it." Katherine said, tightening her grip on Spencer's arm. 

"So, what are we supposed to do? Not talk to each other? We're in the same classes." Hanna said. 

"I bet Spencer and Katherine get to talk." Aria said. 

"Yeah, but that's because we're basically family." Spencer said. 

They heard a clattering that made them all jump but when they realized it was just Jason they all, minus Katherine, relaxed. 

"It's Jason." Spencer said, taking a step closer. 

"No shit." Katherine said, staring at the blonde boy she was still in love with, whether she'd admit it to herself or not. 

"Did he move back in?" Hanna asked.

"What is all that?" Spencer asked, as they watched him throw multiple bags into the trash cans. 

"That's all that stuff that those people left on the curb when Ali went missing, those tributes." Emily said, as Jason crouched down to pick up loose objects. "Maya said her family kept those things when they moved in. They didn't have the heart to throw them out."

"Apparently Jason's moved on." Spencer said, making Katherine turn to look at her with an annoyed look on her face. 

"Hey, give Jason a break. He lost his sister." Katherine said. She still held so much anger for the older boy, but she hated it when her friends said something to paint him in a bad light, she couldn't stand it.