11 - Moments Later

Katherine sat in the waiting room with Spencer, Aria, and Emily. She felt awkward being the only one that didn't have to call their parents or anyone else. So she held her legs close to her chest and stared at the wall.

"Is she okay, Ms. Marin?" Aria asked, as Ashley Marin walked into the waiting room.

"She is going to be alright. She, she has a broken leg and a broken ankle, bruised ribs, and they might have to remove her spleen." Ashley said. "What happened?"

"Hanna was coming across the parking lot and this, this car just came out of nowhere." Aria said.

"Well, the police found the car. They said it was stolen from a campground lot." Ashley said.

"Did they catch the driver?" Emily asked.

"No, not yet." Ashley said.

"Well, the cops should be looking for Toby Cavanaugh." Spencer said.

"Seriously, Spence?" Katherine said, irritated that the blame was, once again, put on Toby.

"It wasn't Toby Cavanaugh. The police picked him up last night." Ashley said.

"What?" Emily and Katherine said.

"One of the officers told me they found him hiding in town and they were bringing him into the station when they got the call about Hanna." Ashley said. "Oh, you girls should go home. I will call you when Hanna can have visitors."

"Just let Hanna know that we were here." Aria said.

"And that we love her." Katherine said.

"I will when she wakes up." Ashley said.

"Toby isn't A." Emily said when Ashley Marin had walked back to where Hanna was.

"Just like I had told all of you." Katherine said.

"Well, Hanna knows who is. That's why A tried to kill her." Spencer said.

"You think they're just trying to scare us?" Emily suggested.

"Well, it worked." Aria said and Katherine nodded, leaning onto Spencer's shoulder.

"This was never about scaring us. That was just a bonus and this started with murder. We were crazy to think it wouldn't end up like this." Spencer said.

"So should we tell the cops?" Emily asked.

"Tell them what, Em? I don't know about you, but it would just make things a lot worse for me." Katherine said.

"But we could tell them everything, they'd be more focused on what we've been put through, not what we've done." Emily said.

"But we don't know everything." Spencer said.

"So what do we do?" Aria asked.

"Well, we talk to Hanna before we do anything." Spencer said.

"Is Hanna safe here?" Aria asked.

"Yeah." Spencer said. "I mean, nothing will happen to her while her mom is with her."

...

"Does it hurt?" Emily asked.

"Yeah. Kind of." Hanna said.

They were all sitting around Hanna's hospital bed.

"Do you remember what happened?" Spencer asked.

"Yeah, I remember." Hanna said, catching on to the hidden meaning. "Mom, you've been here the whole time. Do you wanna take a break?"