9 - The Perfect Storm

"It's insane. I mean, how many words do they expect you to learn in one night?" Hanna said.

"Stringent." Aria read off the card.

"Tough. Inflexible." Spencer said.

"It's not like you're gonna actually use them." Hanna said.

"Meretricious." Aria said, struggling to pronounce the word.

"It's not like you go to college and you just start speaking a completely different language." Hanna said.

"It's about getting into college." Katherine said. "Meretricious, phony flashy?"

"Yeah." Aria said. "Hanna, why are you still eating that?"

"Cause it's here." Hanna said.

"Put it in the garbage." Spencer said.

"Well, then I'd have to stand over the garbage and eat it." Hanna said.

"Besotted." Aria read off the small, blue card.

"Infatuated, enamored, in love with." Spencer said.

"Hey, what did Noel Kahn say to you after the memorial?" Hanna asked Aria.

"Hello, we're taking the SATs in less than twelve hours. Can we focus?" Spencer said.

"Spencer, you do not need to know any more big words. You're already scary enough to anyone under fifty." Hanna said.

"I'm not scary!" Spencer said. "Am I scary?"

"A little." Aria said.

"You're not scary, Spence." Katherine said.

"Hey, I saw Noel Kahn hug you and he did not want to let go." Hanna said.

"Oh yeah, I saw that too. Noel's like Prince Charming, he's really sweet." Katherine said.

"Talk about not wanting to let something go." Aria said.

"Why can't you give him a chance? He's smart, he's cute. His dad owns, like half of Rhode Island and he's got great lips." Hanna said.

"His father?" Spencer asked.

"Ew, no." Hanna said. "Seriously, Aria, you and Noel would look amazing together.

"Look, I've been friends with Noel for years and I promise that he'd be good for you." Katherine said.

"Can we just drop it, please?" Aria asked. "I'm not looking for anything more than a friend."

"Why? Don't you have enough on Facebook? Besides, don't you want something real? Something you can, I don't know, scratch and sniff?" Hanna said.

"Wow, maybe you should just eat that over that garbage." Spencer said.

"Look, I am trying to help out a friend here." Hanna said. "We don't all have smokin' hot ball boys from the country club."

"What is going on with you and Alex?" Aria asked.

"Is he back from that tournament?" Katherine asked.

"Yeah. He's back." Spencer said.

"And?" Katherine asked.

"And it's good." Spencer said. "It's so good. I want it to last, but I'm afraid I'm gonna blow it."

"You won't blow it, Spence." Katherine said.

"When can we officially call him the boyfriend?" Aria asked.

"Hi, mom." Spencer said as Veronica Hastings walked through the door.