New start |19|

D E V I N

I sat at the table across from my brother Davon at the small local coffee shop.
"Don't you think it's a little soon? I mean you guys practically just started dating."

I stared at him wondering if he was as dull as he sounded.
"Practically started dating? We've been together for 9 months now."

"I don't know man it just seems a little soon if you ask me," he said putting his arms up in defense.

"I didn't... I told you my plans and you started talking"

There was a moment of silence, our eyes locked on each other the whole time.

"Well shit man I guess you're right"

I rolled my eyes laughing at him.
"Well I can't wait, man, I'm happy for you... can I be there?"

"Okay, we're done," I said getting up and grabbing my duffle bag filled with all my basketball practice gear.

"Rude!" I hear Davon yell as I walk out.

———

"Baby!"
I was yelling through the halls looking for Avery the second I came home.
I opened her bedroom door which is pretty much our bedroom now, it looked like she had just woken up still curled up in the blankets with sleepiness evident in her eyes.

She hummed in a small quiet voice.
"I'm home my love" I faintly said.

She pulled herself up hesitantly which put a smile on my face.
"No just lay down I'll be over there in a second"
I stripped my clothes leaving me only in my boxers before crawling into bed right next to my beautiful girlfriend.

I kissed the top of her head before muttering a small "hey"
She looked up at me with her adorable
green eyes, poking my arms gently.
"Can I come in?"

"Can you come in? Where?"

"Your arms... I want you to hold me"

"You weirdo, yes come here"

Feeling her warm hands wrapped around my torso was a weird feeling, but a good one! With any other girl, I would be laying here waiting until the random girl from the bar would let me go.
But with Avery I was praying she would want to lay here for hours, she felt like peace, like coming home to your bed after traveling all week.
Avery Isabella Niles is not my girlfriend, she's far more, she's my peace, she's my home, and she is everything I could've ever prayed for in my life.

I brushed some hair out of her face "will you go on a date with me Avery?"

She didn't open her eyes but she had the biggest grin on her face.
"Yes Devin I will go on a date with you"

I put my hand under her chin lifting her face to kiss her.
"Be ready by 8. Sex is not required but appreciated"

"Not happening Booker" she muttered against my bare chest

9 months in and she has continued to maintain her abstinence, I'm not upset at all but it is fun to joke about.

"Another night. another cold shower for D Book."

Her eyes remained closed but I swear I could feel her rolling her eyes.

"I love you" I whispered even though I knew she was almost completely asleep.

———

I walked with Avery on my arm in the park, it was mid-October so it wasn't terribly hot and with the sun almost set it contributed to the cooler weather.
She looked drop-dead gorgeous, she had this fitted blue dress on and her hair had its natural wave to it, I couldn't stop staring at her the whole night.

We walked up the stairs with flower petals of all different kinds laying on the stairs, I don't think she noticed as her head was resting on my shoulder while we walked, I played with her hand the whole walk hoping she would take in our surroundings.

"Did you have fun tonight?"

She stopped walking "I loved it thank you" wrapping her arms around my neck and kissing my jawline.

"Of course baby anything you want"

"I want anything and everything with you" her kisses continued being placed all over my face.

I smiled before grabbing her face to stop her.
She gave me a confused look, probably wondering why I would ever stop her from showing her love.

"I want you to see this"
I turned her around guiding her a few steps to see bouquets of flowers in vases all around, hundreds of flowers on the floor, and the short brick wall.
If I could be In Avery's dreams I'm pretty sure this is what it would look like.

The confused look never left her face as she turned to look at me.
I ignored it grabbing her hand and bringing her closer.

"Avery-"

"Oh my gosh, Devin!" She covered her mouth with her hands.

"Since the day you walked into my life I have never been the same, you have been by my side to make sure I stand a little straighter, run a little faster, and you never hesitated to tell me when I was being a douche bag... which was often. You are the only person who has seen me as more than just a paycheck or a ride to fame and I love you more and more for it. I know I'm not a man good enough for you, that's why I never stop trying every single day to become a man that is good enough for you.
And I want to be a husband worth your love, so Avery Isabella Nikes, will you marry me?"

The tears were flowing nonstop from Avery, she looked like she was trying to speak but couldn't get the words out.
"Avery?"

"Yes! Yes Devin I will marry you!"
She grabbed my face with her small hands kissing me passionately.

I stood up lifting her body with one arm, I spun her around once while she giggled into our kiss.
After putting her down I showed her the box that held her ring in it
"I'm sorry it's so small but I bought it when I was a senior in high school"

It was a 4-karat oval diamond but a few months ago I got another diamond added to the band.

I took it out of the box sliding it onto her finger before kissing her again.

Avery kept admiring the ring on her finger.
"It's so pretty!"

"I bought it after the first time we hung out"

"I love you, Devin Booker," she said looking up through her wet eyelashes.

"I love you, Avery Nikes Booker"

***

Yay, I got a chapter out!!
Thoughts? Theories?
Sorry, it was so short!!

Yay, I got a chapter out!!Thoughts? Theories? Sorry, it was so short!!

The ring