What ends us |23|

D E V I N

It's on one damn gossip site now the whole world knows where we are, of course, Kendall would find out.
She could be doing anything in the world and she picked to be here just to fuck up my life.

I'm trying to plan the best week of Averys' life and now I have to deal with this.
Everybody's sudden concern is all making sense now.
I have to find Davon...
I went to his room still holding the bags of food but there was no answer.

I moved to the next room since I knew they knew what was going on. Riley and Harper.
I knocked on their door and Riley opened it only a little making sure I couldn't see inside.
"I need to talk to you"

"I don't really-"

"It's not a question I know what you're hiding from me"

I heard Harper behind her saying to let me in. Opening the door I saw Harper standing in front of the couch my brother was sitting on. oh great.

"So nobody was going to tell me my ex was here?"

It seemed like everybody was shrunk down by my loud voice. I have the right to be angry, I have the right to scare them, and I have the right to feel every emotion right now.

"Somebody better start talking"

Davon stood up placing himself between me and Averys' sisters.
"TMZ posted it last night. They thought it was weird you show up here and 24 hours later your celebrity ex-girlfriend follows. Ella saw it first and told Riley and Harper and then told me"

"And when were the four accomplices going to tell me?"

"Well if everything went according to plan...never"

"What the hell am I going to do?"

In a room full of four semi-intelligent people there wasn't a word.
Sometimes you just don't have the solution, and that kills you.

"You shouldn't worry about this just go back to Avery and we will take care of everything somehow"

"I'm not leaving my entire wedding and honeymoon up to you three"

Devon was clearly getting frustrated, I don't even know how much sleep they've lost trying to prevent the worst. Or the frustration of failing.

"Then what do you propose Devin?"
He shrugged his tense shoulders.
"Huh? Are you gonna sit in here with us all day? Make Avery suspicious and screw this whole thing up?"

"She has three sisters here plenty of people to distract her"

"She's here to celebrate the two of you. She's not going to want to spend all day with her sister" Harper said

I just need one day when life isn't trying to take me out...

"Devin" Riley spoke softly "go. Be with Avery. We will take care of this"

I had never been at such a war on what direction to take. I could be there with Avery or I could be here and protect her. Now am I supposed to choose between her presence or protection?

I looked at Davon for aid.
"She needs you"

I finally relaxed my tense shoulders, sighing in defeat I walked out of their hotel room and made my way back to my own.

Opening the door I was greeted with Averys' bright smile that I couldn't help but copy.

"Hey beautiful"

I walked over to the bed kissing her passionately.
Breaking apart letting her catch her breath "hey why don't we stay in for the day and I can show you just how excited I am to make you my wife?"

She smirked at me excitedly.
"I think that sounds amazing"

I can distract her for one day.
Sex, movies, naps, and room service.
Piece of cake.
"Perfect future Mrs. Booker"

——

I had her hand in mine, hers significantly smaller than mine.
We were on our way to get dinner and take it back to our room.
I couldn't take my eyes off Avery, her hair was still a little damp from our shower and she had the cutest bags under her eyes, she was visibly tired from our day in the best way possible.

She was wearing purple spandex shorts but you couldn't see them because she swam in the black Phoenix shirt she stole from my suitcase.

After ordering from the small diner In the hotel we stood wrapped in each other's arms, averys head resting against my chest.
It's moments like this I feel complete, this right here, her in my arms, I couldn't ask for anything else I couldn't possibly need anything else.
I'm happy...

It was quiet we didn't even bother with small talk, we were both content in silence. She made it easy.
We are both tired just waiting to be back in bed with each other.

I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. Pulling it out I see Davon's name.
I contemplate for a second looking down at Avery before answering.
"Yea"

"Hey, where are you?"

"Getting food what's up?"

"How long are you gonna be?"
I felt Avery stand up straighter removing her head from my chest.
"I don't know man why?"

"After you take Avery to your room meet me in mine..." I hated the sound in his voice, the sound that told me to prepare for bad news.

"Ok...just give me a few"

I turned to Avery, her body was facing my direction but her gaze was past me, eyes locked on only one thing.

Kendall.

Rushing for damage control, trying to prevent what's already happened I grabbed her arm and took her to our room.

She hadn't said a word, I assume she was trying to process what just happened if she really saw what she thinks she did.

I kept opening and closing my mouth searching, praying for the right words but they failed me.

"Please tell me you saw the same thing?"

I paused "I did"

"Why is she here?"

"How would I know Avery?"
I didn't mean for the bite in my voice yet it was there... but the truth is its fear.

She stopped in her tracks narrowing her eyes at me "it was a rhetorical question Devin" she paused once again "why are you getting defensive?"

"I'm not"

It felt like she could see my soul the way her eyes pierced me.

"Why did Davon call? He wanted to talk to you in his room... why?"

I didn't answer, swallowing the nervousness down.

"You knew she was here..."

"Okay I know you're angry but-"

"I'm not angry"

"I don't want you to be mad the week we are getting married and ruin everything, I know you're mad at her-"

"No Devin I'm upset with you"
Her voice stayed firm, she wasn't raising her voice or obviously angry just... disappointed.
"We are days away from getting married, committing to each other for life and you're repeating old habits"

"Avery...what are you saying?"

She didn't speak but it's like I could already hear her next words "I just can't do this again Devin"

She let out a sigh but I couldn't.
like every breath was stuck inside my chest. Why can't I breathe? Why is the thought of her leaving the worst pain I've ever felt? Why does she have this grasp on my life?

Don't say it.

No.
No.
No.