When does the truth come |7|

AVERY'S POV
*let me know how you like it from their POV*

I was texting Devin when I landed in Kentucky I wanted to be away from Arizona for a while and this was the best place for it, Zoe and I got on the first flight the night I got home, I was checking flights before I even left Orlando.
I needed this reset after the bubble.

I had a four and a half hour flight from Orlando to Phoenix then a five and a half flight from Phoenix to Lexington.
I am exhausted, and I couldn't even sleep on our way to Lexington since Zoe wanted to hear about everything that happened in the bubble.
And there was a lot...

The busyness didn't bother me because I wanted to stay so focused on something, anything! I couldn't help but wonder about Devin and that's the last thing I wanted!
He's just a friend no not even a friend he is a co-worker. I only have to see him for a few hours through basketball season. Easy enough.

I didn't mean to be thinking about Devin but come on how could I not? I just spent months with him in a hotel. He spent a few nights in my room. Not like sleeping! Or sex! He was just hanging out! I'm only talking to myself and I'm getting flustered, I'm so afraid we are gonna get caught together and it's gonna be everywhere.

We landed at about 4 AM, I went straight to my mom's house and went to bed wasting no time, I wanted the day to be over, my thoughts were too overwhelming to deal with them a moment longer.
I didn't know thinking could make somebody so tired.

It wasn't a secret I was in Kentucky it's not like I went out of my way to keep it from everybody, but Zoe and my parents were the only people I told.
It felt like everybody had been watching every step I took since I got to Arizona, I just wanted to not be seen for a couple of days.

Next day

I went out with family and enjoyed my time home not focusing on social media because if I picked up my phone I would stay on it for hours going through my DMs and Instagram comments and I couldn't do that, I needed to find other things to do that didn't involve Devin or the scandal the two of us managed to always get in.

We went through all sorts of places around Lexington, it was nice being home, Arizona is beautiful just about everywhere you go there is something cool but it felt lonely for me because all my family is in Kentucky while I am away.
All I had was Zoe and I love her, truly, but it's not the same as when I am home.

A piece of me stayed in Kentucky when I left to go to Arizona, a piece that will never be able to move from my hometown, a part of my heart, held by only the most precious people in my life.
Unable to loosen their grip, or get it back.
Lexington was where life was simple, and I would give anything to have a simple life again, but thanks to one day in a gym I haven't seen simple in years.

Devin already told me he was gonna be in Arizona so I figured there couldn't be any rumors or drama since I was in Kentucky.
I wanted nothing more than to be invisible, I've been like that forever I never want to be the center of attention.

I checked her phone to see a "Hey can I call you?" Text from Devin.
I got a little worried but didn't want to jump to conclusions before he said anything.
I face-timed him and he answered right away, it was clear he was playing 'Call of duty
He quickly took his headphones off and went to the other room.

"Hey, where are you?"

"Uh well me and Zoe came to Kentucky for a little bit"

Why did I feel nervous telling him this? Like he was this precious piece of glass I was so afraid to break.
He's not glass, he's not mine either, I shouldn't feel like I need to walk on eggshells to spare his feelings.
I caught the trouble on his face, I ignored it because I was more curious about the reason for his call.

"Oh... that's cool"

"What are you up to?"

I nervously played with the gold ring on my middle finger that has been there for years.

"I think I'm just gonna relax with some friends for a little while before I get back to practice and everything..." I nodded at his answer.

"Yea" I  was trying everything to keep my emotions out of this but it was harder than I could ever allow myself to admit.

"So when are you coming home?"

I smiled looking around her room.
"I am home" holding my phone out for him to see.

"Okay let me rephrase when are you coming back to Arizona?" He laughed in his deep voice.

"uh... I don't know, I'm gonna be here for a couple more days... maybe weeks" I whispered the last part.

"Oh..." his disappointment was obvious "well I can't wait for you to get back"
"Yea, but I should probably go" I stuttered over my words.

"I miss you... see you later I guess?"

I agreed and hung up, I missed Devin I really did but my feelings for him weren't nearly as big as my fear of getting hurt and cheated again... especially by the same man.
The thought of him being so nice to me didn't disgust me like I thought it would, but knowing he had a girlfriend waiting for him hurt me probably more than it did Kendall.

I put my phone down and stared at the ceiling hoping, praying my feelings were stronger than they used to be... because I know my heart can't handle watching him leave again.

___

I woke up and went downstairs and sat on the couch where my parents were sitting talking, I joined their conversation enjoying the company while I could.
Soon Zoe woke up and came to sit next to Me, I quietly observed until my mother, Susan, mentioned Devin.
Both Zoe and my attention rose at the familiar name, we looked at each other and then back at my mother.

She went on about how she missed having him around, I was getting more and more uncomfortable as the woman who raised me continued, She never knew the reason he stopped calling, she understood the reason for his absence after moving to Arizona, but the way I acted I know she knew there was much more to the story.

"Well we probably won't see him for a while since he's in LA"
I was looking at all the different things in the room to distract myself from the subject, but that caught my attention.

"Devin is in Arizona" Zoe looked at her and gave a light chuckle and then looked back at me.

"Not since this morning, there are articles everywhere, he was spotted with Kendall Jenner this morning."

Silence fell between the four of us making it very uncomfortable, I quietly excused myself and went upstairs to my room.
I sat on my bed and grabbed my phone.
I went through Twitter to see an article, Devin had landed in LA where Kendall picked him up... so much for staying in Arizona.

***

Why did Devin lie?? What do you think?
And why should Avery care so much?

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Give me your input on the story, I'd love to hear what you guys think🙂

Also, the "my heart can't stand watching him leave again"... broke me lol