What it takes |13|

Avery and Devin were out at a little cafe where nobody would notice the two.
Devin wanted to take her out for a little dinner date since she was getting flustered with how much she had been inside.

He wanted to go somewhere low-key since not only did he want them to go unnoticed but also because they were both in pajamas still.
There was a very small time slot of Avery being awake that Devin was working with and they weren't gonna waste it on the two getting dressed up and fancy.

They were sitting outside at a table and Avery had her leg propped up on Devin's lap since it was still in a cast.
Everything was going smooth and they were laughing and having a good time until Devin brought up what probably should've been left alone... dating history.

"I mean clearly you want to date again you're literally all over me" Devin teased gesturing to her broken foot on his leg.

"Um I'm pretty sure you insisted it be there sir"

Once one started teasing the other could join in without missing a beat.
Something that never faded between the two was their ability to joke and have a good time with each other.

"You're just trying to change the subject"

She glared at him while taking a sip of her drink.

"I mean realistically what would it take?"

He gave a little chuckle but Avery could tell he was being serious for the most part.

"You really aren't gonna let this go are you?" She smiled.

"You're trying to change the subject again"

"I'm not sure. What's it worth to you"

She laughed but he looked at her with nothing but adoration.

"Everything."

Had they not both been a few wine glasses in she wouldn't have played this game.

"Ask me anything whatever question I'm ready"

Avery sat up straighter excited.

"Oh you've been waiting for this" he laughed.

"Why do you hate Zoe so much?"

"I never said I hate Zoe..."

"No, you have not. But you don't need to because I know you hate her and you know I know!"

He smiled loving the proudness of her discovery.

"I have my reasons"

"No" she held her finger in the air, "you said I could get the answer to any question I wanted"

He paused thinking of his next words very carefully.

"I don't like the way she treated you in college..."

Avery froze for a second trying to think of when he meant, Zoe and Devin were the only people she really hung out with in college so it doesn't make sense.

"What do you mean? Zoe was great to me in college."

He froze just staring at her, he wanted to get everything off his chest but he didn't want to hurt her.

Her smile dropped.

"Dev... what did she do?"

"It's nothing... I just have my reasons"

Avery slowly tried to take her foot off his lap, she got really uncomfortable all of a sudden and wanted to be her own little nerdy human ball.

"Just tell me... I won't be mad."