Where we went wrong |12|

!!!Flashback time!!!

Devin looked over at Avery, she slept peacefully in his arms, her hair arranged on her pillow that looks like a halo around her head.
He gently kissed the top of her head careful not to wake her up.

They had been in bed for over an hour but Devin couldn't fall asleep thinking about her

He felt like the biggest dick.
Guilt ate at him for years just for leaving her.

Her mom mentioned today how physically sick it made her when he left, how she thought she would never get her daughter back.
It broke Devin's heart when she said she still didn't have her back, only pieces that were glued back together.

He also remembered his time dealing with life without her for the first time.

Flashback!!!!

"Yo, dev we need to- what the hell happened in here" Tyler stopped when he looked at the mess that was Devin Booker's condo.
There were empty bottles all around surrounded by random clothes and other things.
While Devin laid there with nothing but a thin sheet over him.

"Man I've tried everything... I can't get rid of her" Devin stared blankly at the wall, surrounded by the empty alcohol bottles.
His eyes were red leaving Tyler unsure if it was all the alcohol or if he was crying.

"Who the hell are you talking about?"

"Avery," he said with blank eyes.

"Man let her go," he said walking closer to Devin kicking the garbage out of his way.

"I can't... I love her man. And she's just gone"

"Well I'm sorry you have to hear this but I feel absolutely no sympathy for you right now"

Devin looked over with a mixture of confusion and hurt in his eyes by what his best friend had just told him.

"You chased her for months man and then you -by some miracle- got her. You didn't so much as look at another female because you didn't want her to think you were interested in anybody else, it worked and she went out with you"

he scoffed at his own words

"the girl was so damn happy with you, you had her whole heart in your hands. And even though she said she didn't want to sleep with you, you still tried and tried to change her mind, and then by another miracle she actually did... and the next morning you left her in her own bed alone and got on a flight with me to Phoenix... only to never talk to her again."

Devin was disgusted thinking of just how pitiful he sounded, he had truly done a number on Avery and never even had the decency to apologize, not that he had the option it seemed like she cut him off in every way she could, she had blocked his number, Instagram, and Twitter, she made it known she didn't want to hear from him.

He had tried calling her a couple of months after reaching Phoenix but he never got a reply that's when he fell into a hole of self-pity where he tried to fill it with countless amounts of girls and alcohol, he went out and partied almost every night he never gave himself the chance to be alone because he never wanted to face the man that he had become.

"I just want her back..."

"Well, she doesn't want your sorry ass. Money and fame won't fix the asshole you've become."

Tyler didn't spare feelings today. He sat around listening to Devin while he played the victim but being his best friend didn't mean he would always agree with his actions and this was a time they didn't see eye to eye.
Tyler wasn't gentle with most girls' hearts he was a player just like Devin but they both knew Avery wasn't "most girls" she was "the girl" every man's dream.

Devin didn't respond, he wouldn't even look away from the wall that appeared so interesting to him, Tyler, on the other hand, had enough and got up to leave him to deal with this himself.

"Oh and she not "just gone"... you left her behind like she wasn't the best damn thing to ever happen to you"

Devin didn't flinch when the door slammed shut, he was too numb to manage something like that.
He looked around his room rolling his eyes before flopping over in bed.

*End of flashback*

The thoughts were overwhelming to Devin while he sat on his couch thinking of his mistakes from years ago, he was just a kid then, he didn't know how to love, how to be a man... but he really wishes he did.
He couldn't imagine doing that to Avery now, but that doesn't change the fact he already did once.

He gently caressed her face as she slept, ignoring the tear in his eye quickly wiping it like it never happened.

He remembered his first few months after leaving vividly.
He thought he could find another girl to replace her and quickly realized it was impossible.

He brought a girl back to his apartment and while they were having sex he said Avery's name... that's when he realized just how screwed he was.

A tear that slipped from his eye and fell onto Avery is what woke her up, she looked up at Devin, she looked all disoriented.
"Are you okay?"

He could tell by looking at her there was no way she would remember this in the morning and it made him laugh.

"Yea Aves I'm okay. Go back to sleep alright?"

She responded by putting her head back on his chest snuggling up quickly.

They were still sleeping on the couch at night since Avery wasn't supposed to roll over too much and hurt herself, so the couch kept her in one position.
She told Devin he can sleep in her bed so he's more comfortable, he declined.
He did notice she's never mentioned him going home though.

He kissed her forehead and could hear her giggle softly.
He was about to mention it but she spoke before he could.
"I like when you do that"

He smiled to himself. "I'm glad to hear beautiful"
••• •••

Do things make sense now that you've seen the flashback?

Let me know what uou think about the two!

Now that you know Avery and Devins last are you ready for Zoe's??