The Date

RYDER POV

     Today was a bust. No one I asked, has seen Alejandro Garcia or the Texas Patriots. They haven’t seen or heard anything suspicious. I talked to a guy that heard me ask about the MC. He said he is what the MC calls a hang-around. He and most of the town have the same view of the MC. They are great guys that help the town. They do benefit runs, toy drives, and run respectable businesses. They get a bad reputation because they are an MC. They do what they need to, to protect the town but they aren’t criminals. They don’t do things like the TV shows insinuate. They don’t kill, steal, sell drugs, or run illegal operations. They are businessmen who love freedom, bikes, and brotherhood. I know that Thomas isn’t going to like my report when he gets it.

   I will keep looking but looks like maybe the González cartel got them before they got here. Alejandro according to rumors pissed them off seven years ago. They have been after him since. Even though my gut says, they may have made it here before they met their demise, I can’t prove it. The local motels and hotels say they have never seen them. Local restaurants, cops, and the locals themselves say nope never seen them.

   The only bright side of my day was the texts from Tech. I am both nervous and excited for our date. I haven’t told him what I do for a living, yet. I don’t want to lose him before he gets to know me. Nobody wants to date a fed. I know that the FBI isn’t perfect but we are not all bad either. People believe we will do anything to get someone, though. Yes, we have had agents do some bad kills, make mistakes, and plant evidence. That isn’t me. I have a clean record. I have gone undercover to get my evidence before but never gotten an arrest dirty. I know someday I will have to tell him what I do, just not today.

   I get a quick shower and shave at the hotel. I have seen the restaurant we are eating at, it is nice, so I dress in a white button shirt and nice jeans. I want to look good to impress but casual too. I don’t want him to feel pressure to be perfect.
Another reason not to tell him about my job. I won’t lie to him but hope it won’t come up.

     I am really drawn to him and think there could be something there. It has been a while since anyone has made me feel that. My high-school boyfriend crushed me and I haven’t gotten close to anyone since. After ten years, I owe it to myself to see what these feelings mean.

      I walk into the 1914 House at five till 7. When I get to the hostess stand, I realize I forgot to ask what name to give them and Tech forgot to tell me. The hostess sees me, adjusts her bust, and gives me a flirty smile. “Welcome to the 1914 House. Do you have a reservation or just need a table for 1?” she asks as she bats her eyes at me. “Actually I am meeting my date here but he forgot to tell me what name the reservation was under. His name is Colby but people call him Tech. He is tall, has dark hair, blue eyes, and wears glasses. Is he here, yet?” I ask stressing the date part. Her flirty smile falters a little but returns, “Yes he is, right this way.” she states. She sways her hips trying to get me to check out her ass as she leads me to the table. I hear her mumble, “Such a waste of a perfect male body. Both of them. Sexy as fuck but wasting it with men.” Great one of those that think they could fuck me straight.

   I see Tech as we approach the table, he sees me, stands, and smiles. “Hello Ryder,” he says. He looks great tonight, the blue shirt brings out his eyes. “Hello, Colby. You look great. That shirt really makes your eyes pop.” I say as we sit. “ You look great, too. Ivy said the shirt would do that. I was nervous and she helped me.” he stumbles out as he blushes. “She was right. You’ll have to tell her I appreciate her choice and tell me about her. Nothing to be nervous about. I like you Colby and I think you do me too. Let’s make a deal. Let’s talk, laugh, and get to know each other. No work talk because my job can be stressful and boring. Let’s not do anything to make the night stressful or boring. We’ll just enjoy each other’s company. Plus I want to see that cute blush of yours again. Sound good?” I ask and wink at him. I could see him relaxing as I described the plan. By the end, he is blushing and smiling. For the first time, I notice he has dimples. That just makes him sexier in my opinion. “I love your idea. You have yourself a deal,” he replies and smiles at me. My heart skips a beat. “I love the dimples. Sexy.” I comment and was going to say more but our waitress appears.

     “What can I get you gentlemen to drink?” she asks as she throws flirty smiles at both of us. “I will have a double shot of bourbon neat and an ice water.” Tech replies sickenly sweet. Like the way southern women do. I can see the anger burning in his eyes. “I will have the same as my date,” I said stressing the date part. Her smile falls and she says she’ll be right back with them. She hands us menus and walks off. Tech smiles and tries not to laugh. “I hate when the female wait staff thinks it is okay to flirt with me and my date. Don’t you?” I ask. “Yes, I do. Seeing her face fall when you told her it was a date, was worth it, though,” he replies laughing. I laugh about it too. The waitress returns with our drinks and asks if we know what we want.  We order the mussels for an appetizer and both order the 14oz grilled ribeye.

     I take a drink of my bourbon, “So tell me about yourself and this Ivy lady.” I state. “Ivy is the wife of one of my b…best friends. She is funny, loving, easy to talk to, sassy, fiercely protective, and she is straightforward. Like a few months ago, a friend messed up and hurt another friend. Everyone started treating him differently and ignoring him. Ivy had enough after a couple of days. She got up on a table with an air horn. She blew that thing and asked if we ever made a mistake, if we ever said things in anger, and if we ever took someone’s word over another friend before. Then she is like I know the answer we all have done those things, and none of us were perfect. That it was time we took our heads out of our asses and quit treating him like a leper. That she was disappointed in us. Then she hopped down, grabbed her husband’s hand, and left the room like a boss. Needless the say we were speechless but we did straighten up our attitudes. We didn’t like disappointing her. She is also the first person there for you if you need anything. She is my best friend and the sister I never had.” he describes her and you can tell he loves her. Blood or not she is definitely his family.  “She sounds wonderful. Also scary, like if I hurt you, she’ll kick my ass kind of scary. In other words a great friend and definitely family. You’re lucky to have her.  Sounds like you all are. I hope to meet her someday.  What about the rest of your family?” I ask. He smiles at what I say about Ivy. “Well, my parents died when I was young. My uncle took me in, he wasn’t a good man. He taught me about computers and hacking. He had me helping him hack people and he would blackmail them. I was 16 when someone he tried it with came to hunt him down. He ran and left me. The guy took me in and saved me. My uncle was found dead a month later. The cartel he had hacked, got him. Once, rescued I got my life on track and I got my education because of the help he gave me. He’s now my boss and his company is my family. How about you? Tell me about yourself.” he asks. I love how passionately he talks about the people he considers family. “Well, I grew up in a very demanding family. My mom is a lawyer and my dad's career is military. I am the middle child of five. They pushed all of us throughout our childhood to be the best. I think the only one of us that sees them regularly is my big sister. She is the oldest of us and married a partner in the firm my mom works for. He has old-fashioned views on marriage and my sister is a stay-at-home mom. She seems happy being a trophy wife. I still talk to my baby sister,  she left the family,  like me. My dad tried to arrange a marriage for her. It was some business partner of Mom's that Dad planned,  maybe does,  to work with. They were going to be business partners when Dad leaves the military. I enlisted in the military right out of high school. I did three years and then used my enlistment bonus for college. I moved to Texas to be away from my family since we aren’t close. My best friend, who is like a brother, works with me. We followed the same paths, mostly. My job lets me travel and meet new people. Unlike you, who seems to have lots of friends, I have about five.” I reply. "Well,  it sounds like you live an interesting life," he states as our food arrives. 

   We eat and tell more stories of our lives. We laugh and have a great time. Before dessert comes, “Go out with me, again. This Saturday, there is something I want to show you. We’ll make a day of it. We can start off with coffee and you can meet Ivy. I’ll have her join for coffee. What do you say?” he asks. “Sounds like you have a second date. I can’t wait to meet Ivy. She sounds amazing.” I reply. We order dessert and I can tell neither of us want to call it a night. I am determined to do this right after the first night. Just a kiss goodnight, I keep reminding myself. He is just so smart and sexy, it’s hard to not to want more. “I have a confession to make. I like you and want to do this right, from now on. So I have to keep reminding myself that only a goodnight kiss can happen tonight.” I say honestly. “I have been doing that all night too,” he replies. We both laugh since we think so much alike, great minds and all of that. 

     We eat our desserts, feeding each other bites of ours. We talk for an hour as we drink coffee. We argue about who pays but since I asked him out, I pay, and he tips.  We share a passionate kiss before heading our separate ways. I am looking forward to our next date.