Chapter 1: Start All Over [Again]

Felix

"Wow! Did you know this town has one of the highest rates of animal attacks in the country? " – I said, sounding astonished, looking at my phone.

My father is driving the car, my mother is in the passenger seat. My sister is in the back seat of the car next to me, looking bored as always.

"Maybe you should take this as a warning to stay away from the animal life of the town." – My mom said in a light playful tone.

"Oh, I am not going anywhere near any animal life, don't worry about it." - I replied in a worried tone.

"Can you imagine taking a hike and encountering a wild animal? Gosh! I would die right then and there..." - I pondered, still a little scared in my tone.

"I know, right? I don't know what dad was thinking of moving the entire family to this Safari!" - Daphne snickered in her usual condescending tone.

"You know why we moved here, young lady. Now, show some support." - My dad pleaded, though his tone didn't suggest this was a request.

"I am showing support... By not running away from home when you announced this trap." - She retorted in a deadpan tone.

Last week, my dad announced to us that he was invited to be the new Chief of Police of Rutherford Falls, a little town in Texas with a population of less than 10 thousand. He said that he had already talked it over with mom and that the family could use a fresh start.

I know he's referring to me when he said that, though he probably wouldn't admit it. I know I messed up, I just hope my sister can forgive me for this unwanted turmoil in our lives, though it's not completely my fault. I didn't ask them to move us away from our city just because I got bullied so hard I tried to kill myself. Even though that's not the whole story, to be honest.

"Girl, please, you know you could never live without me." - I said as I kissed her on the cheek, although facing some resistance.

"Gee. Thanks... It's not like we gave you life or anything." - Dad said in a joking tone.

"And now you're ruining it!" - Daphne replied, her tone revealing how unhappy she was.

"Such a drama queen, my God! If you give this town a chance, you might be surprised." - Dad stated in a hopeful tone.

"And on that note, we're here." - Mom said, as dad parked the car.

The house was beautiful. Three bedrooms, a sun kissed living room, 2 bathrooms, large kitchen and a spacious yard. It was not that far from the police precinct, so it was convenient.

"You guys take your bags to your rooms, the movers are going to arrive tomorrow with the rest of our stuff." - My mom said, as we got out of the car.

After we got ourselves acquainted with the house, my dad cooked us some food and we ate. It was nice sharing a meal with my family, even my sulking sister, especially since I know we won't get many opportunities like these once my parents start working. My mom is a doctor, a surgeon and she already had a job lined up at the local hospital and my dad starts working tomorrow as well.

"I'm going to take a walk and explore the neighborhood. Do you wanna come?" - I said to my sister, who I know hates walking, but maybe would embrace the new surroundings.

"God, no! Do you even know where you're going?" - She replied with a skulk in her face.

" I don't. That's the beauty of it." - I replied in a chipper tone.

"Don't go very far, Felix. You don't want to get lost on your first day and make your father start early at the police station." - My mother advised with an amused / worried face.

"Don't worry, mom, I won't." - I replied, grinning.

I walked for what it felt like for hours. The town actually wasn't bad, though I'm positive the animal population superseded the human one. As night fell, I decided it was time to return home.

There were beautiful trees adorning the path and as I was walking, I couldn't help but hear a noise coming from the woods. At first I thought it was a dog, so of course I went in to see it. Little did I know... suddenly, I was surprised to see 3 large wolves staring at me, looking not so friendly.

One of them growled at me and I got so scared I stumbled and fell backwards. Oh boy...

A/N: Buckle up. It's gonna be a wild ride!

But you're gonna enjoy meeting the Huntingtons next. I promise you.

Love,

Léo.