Chapter 40: ME! | That Thing You Do

Daniel

I wake up next to Felix, officially my Luna.

I was still in pain, of course, but I didn't care. I woke up next to my mate and there's no better feeling than this. At least not until he bears my mark. Felix wakes up.

"Good morning, Luna. How did you sleep?" - I asked him, smiling.

"Great! This bed is fantastic! Way better than your old one!" - He remarked as he spread his arms.

"Can I ask you something?" - He wondered, quizzically.

"Anything, literally you can ask me anything!" - I responded, cheerfully.

"How do you people make a living? How do you support yourselves?" - He was intrigued.

"Well, for starters, you do know that nobody lives here for free, right?" - I began.

"Actually, I have no idea!" - He answered with a blank expression on his face.

"OK, so everyone that lives inside the compound pays rent, except for the Alpha family, of course." - I explained. - "That means the people living in the houses pay rent and so does the people that live here in the pack house. Most of them have jobs outside the pack."

"Except for the warriors, whose only job is to protect us. So they get paid a wage from the pack, but the food and quarters expense is docked from their pay." - I continued.

"We also employ people to clean the pack house, cook for us and do our books and stuff like that. Lastly, every member of the pack that doesn't live here pay a small fee for the pack's maintenance and security. If need be, they can call on us for any safety issue they have." - I elaborated.

"And of course, the Alpha and Beta get paid a wage too, since our jobs are exclusively to take care of the pack." - I concluded.

"Do I get paid too?" - He wondered with a hopeful look.

"No, you don't. But you get a stipend for the expenses as you're in charge of the house maintenance and overseeing all the workers of the pack house, except for the warriors who fall under the purview of the Beta." - I explained.

"Wait. The Beta is in charge of the warriors? And I am in charge of the rest of the workers. So, who are you in charge of?" - He questioned me, puzzled.

"I'm in charge of every single member of the pack, living inside the compound or not." - I sated, looking proud.

After a while, we get downstairs for breakfast

After a while, we get downstairs for breakfast. This was going to be my first breakfast as Alpha.

As we entered the dining hall, all pack members (warriors and unmated who live in the pack house) were waiting for us. They stand up, bow their heads and say:

"Good morning , Alpha. Good morning, Luna."

"Good morning, everyone." - I greeted them as I take my seat at the head of the table, next to my mate. As it's tradition, no one ate before I arrived. But I don't keep them waiting much as I'm starving, I hadn't eaten since before the ceremony.