Chapter 3: Smells like teen spirit

Nate

I hate that I haven't found my mate yet. I feel like a failure, even though I know it's not really my fault.

Not that I mind being single, I just hate these kinds of trips where we have to be paraded to another pack just so we can find our potential mate. But I know I have no choice in the matter. I turned 18 a few months ago, so I already know it's not anyone in our pack or my wolf would've sensed it.

After we finished breakfast, Daniel, Denise and I grab our bags and exit the pack house, where we meet our friends Michael, Thomas, Carl and Lauren, Dan's girlfriend. He's so lucky he already found his soulmate and he is not even 18 yet. I am a little jealous of him, to be honest.

"Morning, guys." - I greeted everyone as we started the long walk out of the compound. They greeted us and Daniel kissed Lauren on the lips.

"So, I had a weird dream. Did you guys go for a run last night by any chance? - Daniel said as he looked towards Mike, Tom and Carl.

"Yes, we did. Why?" - Mike replied, curious to see where this was going, as was everyone.

"So, in the dream, you guys were running till you encountered a human boy in the woods. And then, Carl growled at him and the boy fell backwards." - Daniel explained, as if he was telling a scary story.

"Wow! What the fuck, dude?! That's exactly what happened! Do you know the guy?" - Tom said in a scared voice. We all looked at Dan puzzled.

"I've never seen the dude before in my life! That's what's even weirder!" - Dan replied, spooked by all this.

"That is weird! But you do know we were just messing with the dude, right? We just scared him a little bit, then we ran out of there." - Carl explained in a worried tone. But all three of them looked concerned.

"Do you think the dream was your Alpha instinct warning you that the boys were breaking the rules?" - Lauren pondered, which made the boys turn to her and Daniel looking scared.

"Wow! Wow! Calm down! We didn't break any rules, Lauren, we didn't bite him, just growled. You didn't tell your father about this, did you, Dan?" - Mike rushed to clarify in a very worried tone.

"Of course not, Mike. If I had, you guys would have already been summoned by the Alpha to explain yourselves." - Dan replied with a devious grin.

At this, all the boys breathed out a relieved sigh, though Dan still seemed a bit shaken by the intriguing dream. Not long after that, we exited the compound gate and took the bus. At school, things were normal just like any Monday: classes, the boys acting goofy, Dan and Lauren's nauseating PDA. Barf!

It was geometry class, the teacher was explaining something that made me drift off when suddenly I'm awakened by this scent. My nose itched to sense more and as I was sniffing the air, Dan noticed it and asked me if anything was wrong.

"I don't know, I'm sensing a scent like I've never smelled before. It's weird, it's almost like a..." - And then it hit me. It came crashing at my senses like nothing else ever has. - "Oh my Goddess!" - I shouted, which made everyone in the classroom stare at me.

"Is everything all right, Mr. Underwood?" - The teacher asked me, looking at my surprised face.

"Yes, Mr. Rogers. I'm sorry for the outburst." - I replied, sheepishly. And then I whispered what I knew only the werewolves present would listen:

"Guys, I think I found my..."

There's a knock on the door, after which a boy and a girl enter the classroom. The teacher welcomed them into class and as he was introducing them, my wolf took control over me.

"MATE!" - I said in a deep, husky sound as my eyes turned pitch black. Then, I lunge towards the girl.

At this, Dan tackles me before I get to her, who was already scared and recoiling from me. The boys join Dan in trying to restrain me and I feel my bones starting to break from the transformation.

"Take him away, quickly!" - The teacher demanded, hurriedly. Thankfully, he is one of us and he realized what was happening immediately.

Dan struggled to take me out of the classroom. All the students looked scared. He tried his best to conceal my eyes from everyone, so he threw a coat over me and carried me away with the help of Mike, Carl and Tom. But my wolf only wanted one thing: and that is to be near whoever was that girl in the classroom.

They carried me outside the school, which was empty at this hour, my bones cracking, my nose widening into a snout, fur taking over my every pore. I didn't even have time to undress properly. Then I was a fully transformed large wolf, howling to go be with my mate.

"What the hell happened?!" - Mike asked in a worried tone. All the boys were standing in front of me, trying to block me from re-entering the school, which was a good idea, but I wasn't in my right mind now.

"I think he found his..." Dan replied but I interrupted him as I mind link them all saying:

"MATE! I need to be with my mate!" - My wolf was restless, I tried my best to control him but his instincts were all over the place. To be honest, this type of thing never happens to us. We don't shift involuntarily, not even under the full moon.

"Calm down, Nate! You'll have your chance with her, but she's a human. She can't see you in this state." - Tom said, trying his best to tranquilize me.

"I think I'm gonna have to shift too and take him out for a run." - Daniel declared as he started to undress himself.

"OK. We'll try to cover for you two at the school. We'll say that he was sick and you had to take him home." - Carl said, his voice still shaken by the situation. All of us were, especially me.

"Great." - Dan replied, down to his underwear, already shifting into a wolf. He removed it and completed the shift. It's a good thing that we're a tight knit group of friends who shift together regularly, so getting naked in front of the boys was the least of our problems.

As a wolf, he used his Alpha voice to command me to go with him, which I complied begrudgingly. And so we left. Our friends picked up our clothes on the ground and returned to school.

My goodness, that was a lot today. I can only pray that I didn't ruin any chance of getting to know my mate, because I need her in my life.

A|N: Damn, boy! That's an introduction if I've ever seen one!

Poor Nate. How will he ever recover from this disastrous first encounter?

Turn the page to find out!

Love,

Léo.