Alternate Ending III

"Happy birthday to you." 

"Happy birthday to Marinette." 

"Happy birthday to you." 

Chloe closed her eyes tight and let the tears silently trickle down her cheeks. She sang the infamous song under her breath as she sat crossed legged on her fluffy rug, she held a red velvet cupcake in her hand that had a single candle in the middle, the small flame melting the wax as Chloe took her time singing to her late friend. 

The blondes jaw ticked as she struggled to blow out the candle, was there even a point though? She had taken so long to sing and blow the candle that there was no candle left to blow, all the wax had melted onto the cupcake making it inedible. However, Chloe remained sitting with it cupped in her hand and after a few minutes of staring at the dessert, her sobs filled the pin drop silence. 

Chloe promised Bruce last night on the phone that she wasn't going to cry, no one was going to cry because Marinette wouldn't want that, but here Chloe was; breaking her promise and crying her heart out. 

Her cries came from her throat, she struggled to breath and when she tried to stand up to get a tissue, she only ended up falling on her knees. Her delicate finger shakily made its way up to her mouth, trying to conceal her cries but nothing worked. Her mouth remained open and she could no longer see, tears fogging up her sight as they fell non-stop but Chloe made no move to wipe them away because of her unstable her hands were. Also, she was crying so much that as soon as she'd wipe the tears, more came rushing down. 

It was like it was raining, her eyes acted as the clouds while her cheeks, hands and clothing acted as the earth. 

Not only was today Marinette's eighteenth birthday, but today also marked her death anniversary. One year ago today, Marinette died, sacrificing herself, knowing she'd save everyone and everyone would benefit off of her death. 

Today also happens to be the death anniversary of Marinette's birth mother, who died giving birth to Marinette exactly eighteen years ago. 

Soft vibrating came from Chloe's phone on her desk, her tears falling even faster down her cheek. 

When Marinette and Chloe became friends, for some odd reason, they told each other the exact time they were born and at that exact time each year, they'd wish each other happy birthday. An alarm would be set for the exact time and Chloe never took Marinette's off her phone. 

The automated voice spoke from Chloe's phone, reading what Chloe had typed on her calendar for this exact day and time. Sobs became gut-wrenching as the blonde attempted to ignore the voice, yet nothing worked. 

Oh how Chloe would give the world just for five more minutes with her best friend. She would give up everything, just so she could get Marinette back, even if it's just for a minute. A minute wouldn't be enough time, but if Marinette's family could speak to her for just another sixty seconds, the hollowness of their chests wouldn't feel so empty. 

Poking the inside of her cheek, the blonde sniffed and wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand, still not letting go of the wax covered cupcake she held with too much grip. 

With shaky breaths, unsteady steps and empty promises, Chloe started the day. 

Marinette's day. 

*****

This day was always going to be a sad one, it's been so eighteen years ago and it seemed that this day only got sadder over the years. 

The manor was quiet and it nerved Bruce to no end. He needed it to be filled with his children and they needed to be annoying and be loud, he needed them to fill the void that could never be filled. The manor was actually filled with its usual inhabitants, all the adopted children and unofficial family were all here physically but mentally was different. 

Everyone was quiet, no laughs or cries, no nothing. What were they supposed to say? The past year had been filled with coping and struggling and recovering, and then failing to do all of those. No one asked for help, none dared to go to therapy and it was all a repeated cycle that hadn't been broken. It needed to be broken though. 

Normally on this day, the Manor would be bustling with life. Everyone up bright and early just to scare the birthday girl who would always scream at the entourage that barged into her room. Presents would be given and hugs would be given back as a thank you. Food would be cooked and baked, then demolished in no time because what else was supposed to happen in a male dominating household. 

Today though, the Manor reminded as quiet as it was when everyone fell asleep. If they weren't sitting together at the table, Bruce easily would've thought they all slept in. 

It wasn't easy, mourning. No one was taught how to mourn and get over a person you loved and cared for more than anyone in the world. Mourning wasn't a subject in school that students had an hour learning and then exams based on it so they can become experts. It was self taught, some went through it and others didn't know what that felt like. 

What it felt like to lose someone that you loved more than anything, losing someone that it hurt you. By that person dying, you felt wrong and everything you did didn't feel right. Everything felt out of place and no matter how much you grieve and if you say no more crying, nothing ever feels right. 

Whenever you do something, you always imagine that person is by your side and that emptiness will only become a companion that remains and doesn't fill. 

Bruce wouldn't wish death upon anyone. The sensation of losing someone, the realisation that everyone is going to leave you isn't worth it. 

With reluctant steps, heavy breaths and red eyes, Bruce would survive today. Grieving not just his dead partner, but his dead daughter too. 

The partner he no longer had, the daughter he no longer had. Bruce lost his girls. They selfishly left him and didn't keep in mind the pain they'd cause. His partner leaving but giving her daughter life, while his daughter left him but gave Paris life. His girls would laugh it off, calling it a win-win situation but the only people winning here were the ones in heaven. 

To say happy birthday or not to say happy birthday was the question. 

A much needed question that Bruce would get an answer to once the birthday was in its last few minutes. 

1489 Words

Alternate ending part trois, hope you liked this short but sweet chapter that I very much loved to write. I've been going through a phase of angst, all the books I'm reading have someone dying or terminally ill which is feeding my angsty soul. 

Heya!!!! I hope you guys missed me because I missed you very much. So much has happened since I last updated here and I wasn't going to till much later. I was going to make this chapter much much longer but then decided no because I've been writing this for ages. 

First, I turned fifteen and my sister turned five, kinda emotional ngl. We're in a new year, kinda cool but kinda sad, I can't decide. We have welcomed twins into my family, I officially have twins as cousins and they're so cute and small and I love them to bits omg. I also lost someone very close to me so writing this hit hard too. 

Anyways, sadness aside. GCSE is hard man and I'm only in year 10, so much stress especially with mosque and my general life outside of any type of education. 

Life's been haywire and writing has been my escapism so it's been nice, especially writing my own story with characters and a plot that I made. No one reads it and I don't expect anyone to read it either, it's all just for me and my cousin who I accidentally told the plot to and she's invested but that's about it. 

I've got a bunch more books in the works, most of my own so there's no point in me saying anything but if you want go check em out. 

This is getting really long but I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter that I might to a continuation of in the next alternate ending I write, I haven't decided yet. 

I need to go pray so I hope you have a lovely morning, evening, sleep or whatever it is you doing.

(I also didn't edit or proof read this so greatest and biggest and most heartfelt apologies from mwah.) 

Poppadom is outt!!