Chapter 9

Nikolas glanced at his watch. "Блин, the time has gone by quickly. I need to leave soon."

"That's alright," I told him.

"I have not discussed anything that I meant to," he sighed. "Okay, I will tell you quickly, but this afternoon you will go shopping. Melaniya knows everything already and where to take you. I want to get you more clothing than what I already sent you, and so you will be going to some boutiques today. Starting tomorrow, you will also begin ballroom dance lessons. I know you have taken some since becoming Calista's Lady-in-Waiting, but I think they will prove to be helpful."

"Thank you," I told him.

"Oh, it is not a problem," he assured me. "It's only natural that you receive a new wardrobe and dancing lessons."

"But still, thanks a lot," I told him.

He looked at me and smiled. "Of course, Cassie," he said. "It is my pleasure."

"Are you going to come this afternoon shopping?" I asked.

"No, I am afraid I am far too busy," he said. "But we shall eat dinner together, like last night."

"Okay," I said. "Oh, and one more thing!"

"Yes?" he asked, beginning to stand up.

"Are your parents going to be there at dinner?"

He smiled a little sadly. "No, they are not," he told me. "I usually eat alone."

"Really?" I asked, standing up. "I'm sorry about that."

"No need to apologize," he assured me. "But I appreciate your company. I will see you this evening."

"Okay," I said, watching him walk out the door.

Oh CRAP! I thought. I DIDN'T EVEN TELL HIM ABOUT ESMERELDA!

***

I felt quite stressed as I got into the black SUV with Melaniya an hour or so later. We were headed off to get more clothing, and I still felt stressed about the whole situation with Nikolas. How had I managed to get so distracted and not tell him the truth about Esmerelda?! I guess I'd have an opportunity to tell him at dinner, but still.

Snow was falling as we left the palace, but the SUV seemed to handle it nicely, and the roads were virtually free of snow. We left the pristine estate and drove for some time until we reached the city, Kuvnisk. Nikoto's capitol was clean, sleek, and modern. Though the different buildings varied, there was an orderliness to the city, at least, to what I saw. Some buildings had more fresh and unique architecture, while others were clearly more simple, but there wasn't an obvious disparage between it all. It seemed as though the city had been envisioned by one person with the way it all flowed together. Our SUV eventually pulled up in front of a boutique with large glass windows showcasing mannequins wearing nice clothing, though the outfits weren't extreme or elaborate. I looked up at the sign above the large glass doors, which read in a cursive script Kozlov. Our driver opened the car door for Melaniya and I, and as we approached the Kozlov boutique, two employees from the inside opened the door.

"Oh, thank you," I said. "Um, I mean, Spasibo." The inside of the store was beautiful. There was a glass stairway in the middle leading up to the second row, crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and racks of beautiful clothing tastefully placed around the store. One of the employees said something to Melaniya in Russian, and she told me that we were to follow the employee. We walked through the boutique towards the back, where we were seated on white, plush divan, and a few minutes later, a woman approached us. She was a beautiful woman...tall and thin with gorgeous, straight blonde hair that fell to her waist. She wore dark velvet pants with an icy blue blouse that had a bow tied around the side her pale neck and chunky beige heels with a couple of straps tied in a bow around her ankles. She looked fabulous, honestly.

"Hello Miss Carmichael. I'm Khristin Kozlov." She walked up to me with a smile and shook my hand, but what surprised me was that she spoke in perfect American English. I realized that I hadn't heard American English in a long time, except for over the phone with my family and Lydia.

"Hello Miss Kozlov," I said, standing up as I shook her hand and offering a smile in return.

"You can call me Khristin," she told me, placing a hand on her hip.

"Then you can call me Cassie," I answered.

"Alright, Cassie. Welcome to Koslov clothing. The store is all yours, no other customers will be coming in for the next few hours."

"Really? Wow! Thank you so much for letting me come here today!"

"It's my pleasure," she told me, tucking her beautiful, thick hair behind her ear. "It's not every day that the Prince calls you to ask for such a thing."

"I guess not," I chuckled. "And, I have to ask, are you...? You sound American."

She laughed delightfully. "Oh, that is quite the compliment, that you think I'm American. I am definitely Nikotan, but I studied in New York City for four years, so my English sounds pretty American."

"Yeah, it really does!" I said. "I'm very impressed. Also, your store and your clothes look amazing, from what I've seen so far. Do you design all these clothes?"

She smiled. "We talk as we look around," she told me, beginning to walk forward. Melaniya and I followed Khristin as she weaved us through er boutique. "My father started the Koslov clothing company, and still plays an important role in it, though now I am somewhat the head of the company." We started to ascend the glass staircase in the middle of the store. "I design many clothes, but there are other designers that we work with. However..." we reached the top floor, and my eyes widened at rows of amazing shoes on glass shelves lit up by lights imbedded in said shelves. She turned around to face me, her blonde hair swishing behind her. "My specialty is shoes. And I'll be designing your shoes for the Winter Ball."

***

For early releases and bonus content (you'll immediately unlock 4 chapters upon purchase), support me on Patreon for $3.99. https://www.patreon.com/klafroth