Chapter 30

"Speak of the devil," I muttered. I opened the door, and Prince Coleman stood there casually with his hands in his pockets. He craned his neck and looked into my room.

"Cassie," he sighed, his eyes landing on Charlie. "What is it with you and my butlers?"

I shook my head, smiling to myself. "What's up?" I asked, cordially.

"I'm bored," he said. "Wanted to see if you'd walk around the palace with me."

I was a little reluctant—it felt rather wrong to walk around with Coleman in Nikolas's palace.

Who cares?  One thought argued. Nikolas is your friend. Coleman is your friend. Nikolas shouldn't care that you're hanging out with another friend while he's busy!

Come on, another brain cell butt in. You're oversimplifying it. There's more going on here between Cassie and Nikolas.

Then he can take it up with his future princess wife! My first brain cell argued back.

Whoa, whoa. My thoughts were taking me aback. I wasn't upset with Nikolas, so why was I thinking this way? I wasn't trying to hurt him or make him jealous or anything! Maybe Coleman's accusations towards him had planted some irritation about the situation that hadn't previously really been there. Or, maybe it had been there and Coleman's words had brought them forward? Either way, at the end of the day I knew both Nikolas and Coleman, and honestly, walking around with Coleman wouldn't really hurt anything. Besides, Nikolas was just a friend. He'd made it clear.

I glanced at my wristwatch. "I have dinner in thirty minutes," I told Coleman. "But we can walk around until then."

"Great," Coleman said, smiling. He then looked at Charlie. "Charles, go to your room."

Charlie sprang off the couch like a jack in the box and saluted Prince Coleman. "Sir, yessir!" He pronounced, and marched right out of my room and down the hall.

"I thought he was sixteen," Coleman said to me. "He acts like a twelve-year-old."

"That's just Charlie," I chuckled. "He's kind of a goofy kid, but he's great."

"There's still no way I'm keeping him on as a butler."

I laughed and we started walking down the hall. "But he'd probably be entertaining, for when you're bored," I countered.

"Well that's why I have you," Coleman said.

"I'm not your servant anymore," I grimaced.

"And yet here we are, strolling about and relieving me of my boredom. You don't have to be my servant."

"Are you saying I'm still subservient to you?" I questioned.

"Not at all. I'm saying that you don't have to be in order for us to have fun together."

"Who says I'm having fun?" I teased, looking up at him with a smile.

"There's nothing more fun than walking around Prince Nikolas's palace," he said very seriously. "This is the epitome of fun. You're welcome for planning such an exciting outing."

"What shall we do when we're gone."

"Oh, you're going to love this," Coleman said.

"Oh?"

"When we're gone from here, we're going to walk around my palace," he said.

"Are we now?" I asked, laughing a bit.

"You know, I never did give you that tour of the palace that I promised. It's only right that I show you around," he said.

"What tour?" I asked.