Chapter 84

I didn't talk to Coleman the next day about it, nor the day after that. In fact, his whole birthday went by and I hadn't mentioned my talk with King Collin. I didn't feel a real need to—it only mattered if Coleman and mine's relationship were to become serious.

It was a hot day in the middle of July, and Coleman and I had been swimming at the François Estate with Mercucio, Madeline, Roiben, Lysander, Calista, and Lucille. We'd all enjoyed a hearty dinner, and Coleman and I and Madeline and Roiben were all going on a stroll around the grounds, despite all the bugs that came out at night. We were doused in bug spray and enjoying the occasional sight of a firefly amongst the garden lights. We'd invited Merc to join us, but he'd pouted about how he "didn't want to crash the double date" or whatnot.

We all were chatting together, and soon Roiben and Madeline diverted off onto another path, leaving Coleman and I alone on our walk, holding hands.

"What do you think about marriage?" he asked me suddenly.

"Marriage?" I glanced in the direction of Madeline and Roiben. They seemed very happy. Madeline had told me that she quite enjoyed married life, despite the occasional arguments she and Roiben had.

"Yes, marriage," Coleman said. "As in, well, marriage with me."

I snapped my head back towards him, and my heart began to pound. "Marriage with you?"

"Yes," he said. He wasn't looking at me, and I realized it was because he was nervous. "It's something I've started to think about. Have you...have you thought about it at all?"

Of course it had crossed my mind. How could it have not? Everyone was always talking about how if we got married, I'd have to learn so much and do so much and change so much. The topic was completely inescapable.

"I have," I answered.

"Oh! You have," he said. "I suppose, that makes two of us."

"Coleman, are you nervous?" I teased, bumping into him playfully.

He released a chuckle. "Well, of course I am. It's the first time I've brought this up." He paused for a moment. "As I said before, I've been thinking about it. I've always known that I'll get married one day, and as I've thought about you, I can't see myself with anyone else." He squeezed my hand. "I can see a real future between you and I. What do you think?"

That was the moment that King Collin's chat came rushing to the forefront of my mind. It had been there the past month or so, working in the background. I'd occasionally taken the thought out and examined it before putting it away on the shelf once more, but now it was right in front of me, ready to be used.

"I've had similar feelings," I said. "You know that I love you. Honestly, you are the person I envision spending the rest of my life with. When I think about it, I feel excited. But also...I have some apprehensions."

"Apprehensions?" Coleman asked.

I could tell he was a bit taken aback, but doing his best to act like he wasn't. I took a deep breath. "In May, I had a conversation with your father."

"My father?" He seemed quite surprised. "About what?"

"About you, and about our relationship."

"Why didn't you tell me about this?"

"We had only been dating for a month or so at the time, and I felt it wasn't appropriate to bring it up." I then relayed the details of what had transpired between the King and I, and continued with my own thoughts. "I already knew about your past," I said. "And I know you've been faithful to me, but it is something I worry about."

"You shouldn't worry about that." He seemed somewhat angry. "He shouldn't have—I can't believe my father said all that to you."

"But he made some good points," I said. I stopped walking, and turned to face Coleman. I cupped his cheek in my hand, and though he looked frustrated, he relaxed slightly at the motion. "I know you love me," I said. "I do. But one day...one day I won't be so young and beautiful. I'll age, I'll get wrinkles. If we have children, my body will change and I'll be a mother and I'll no longer be this twenty-two-year-old in the prime of her life." I moved my hand down to his shoulder. "But there will still be twenty-two-year-olds interested in you. When faced with the excitement and flurry of new prospects and even new love, will you stay loyal to me? Will you still love me, Coleman, even when we're old?"

"Of course I will," he said.

"I need you to really think about it," I said. "Not just today. I want you to think about this, as we continue to talk about marriage. I want you to really ask yourself if you're going to be able to say no when women come to you, because they will. And I want you to talk with your parents, with people who have been married for some time. Talk with your grandfather! I want you to really think about it Coleman. Because...because if you cheated on me...it would break my heart. It would shatter it into a million pieces, I mean it!"

"I would never cheat on you." He clasped my shoulders. "I wouldn't, Cassie. I've never cheated on anyone!"

"You've never even had a relationship before," I said. "So there's been no one to cheat on."

He sighed, moving his hands down to the sides of my arms. "I haven't had a real relationship before, it's true, but what can I do about that now? Should I date someone else for a time just to prove I can be loyal?"

"No," I said, my insides squirming at the thought. "I just...I just want you to think about it for awhile. I want you to imagine me at sixty."

"And I'll be sixty-three," he chuckled.

I smiled in return. "Yeah. You'll be sixty-three." I took his hands in mine, and stared into his eyes. "Will you think about it, though?"

He nodded. "I will, Cassie. I'll give it serious thought."

I smiled again, and leaned up for a kiss.