Chapter 63

The moment of silence between us held thick tension in the air, and I waited wide eyed for him to say something more.

"You're right. I haven't ever really had a female friend." He was looking at me directly in the eyes. "You would be the first. And I don't want to ruin our relationship." His hand that rested on my shoulder moved up, and he cupped my cheek and inched closer. His hand was large and warm. "And if I were to kiss you..." his voice was low and husky. "That would change the nature of our friendship, wouldn't it?"

Goodness, he was beautiful, with his sharp jawline and piercing green eyes and his face so close to mine. "Coleman?" I asked. "What do you feel for me?"

His eyebrows furrowed together. "I don't know," he admitted.

I drew a deep breath, and took his hand from my face, despite my carnal desire to do just about the exact opposite and to kiss him. I glanced down before facing him once more. "Then I suggest you find out."

I took a step back from him, which helped to dissipate some of the tension between us. I'd had more relationship drama in the past seven months than I had had my whole entire life, and I was tired of it. Between my tumultuous relationship with Luke, to falling in love with someone who then got engaged a couple of weeks later, and the entirety of my strange relationship with Coleman, it was really too much. Sure, the tension and the games were entertaining at first, but now I was tired of it. It wasn't as dramatically glamourous as it once had been.

I started walking towards the door, but I paused for a second before turning the handle, and looked at Coleman. "Let's still be friends, okay?" And with that, I left his room.

***

That night, I called Lydia on the phone while I sat in my bubble bath to update her on my life and the latest with Lord Harry and now Prince Coleman.

"It's like, I don't know what he wants from me," I said. "I mean, I don't think that he knows either. And I'm not going to lie to you, seeing that he's been drawing me for so long made my heart pound."

"Oh I'll bet!" she said. "I think I would literally die if I saw that some hot guy had been drawing me. There's actually no way I wouldn't have kissed him."

"Well I—" I paused for a moment. "I wanted to," I admitted. "Which is stupid, I know—"

"It's not stupid," Lydia interrupted. "It's human and natural and you are human, Cass. I'd be more concerned if you hadn't wanted to kiss him, honestly."

I chuckled. "Okay, that's fair. So yeah, I wanted to, but I'm just so tired of all the drama, Lydia. It's exhausting at this point."

"You know, I'm just thinking about this now, but maybe you need a break from Aregano."

"A break?"

"You haven't been home in, what, almost eight months now? It's almost April!"

"It is almost April," I mumbled to myself.

"Why don't you come home for a week? I have spring break coming up as well, so I'll be going back up to Alexandria, too. Maybe it will be good to see your family again. And of course to see me! Besides, we all miss you and want to see you again!"

"I mean, Lady Madeline's wedding isn't for two more weeks..." I realized, Lydia's idea growing on me.

"Now would be a good time to come home." Her voice was sing-songy.

Sure, a plane ticket would cost a pretty penny, but I'd saved up quite a few pennies ever since I'd started working at the palace. Eight months ago, apparently.

My smile widened. "It would be a good time to visit."

***

That night, I texted Calista asking if she'd be okay with me going home for a week or so, and she had no problem with it, so I booked a plane ticket for the day after next. The next day, I went to the city, Wethercross, to pick up some souvenirs for my family and Lydia in addition to the few miscellaneous things I'd picked up over the past several months. When I got back, I decided to drop by and see Prince Coleman—I didn't want him to think that I was suddenly leaving the country because of him and what had happened the day before. I mean, it was technically the catalyst for me leaving, but I didn't want him to feel bad. For all his confusing ways, I did genuinely care about him and I knew he cared about me.

I knocked on his door, and Charlie answered, a big grin spreading on his face when he saw me.

"Cassie!" he exclaimed.

"Hi Charlie." I smiled at him. "How are you doing?"

"I'm just fine. Just being a butler, you know?"

"I'm glad to hear it."

"Well, I suppose you'll be wanting to see the Prince?" He wiggled his eyebrows, prompting an awkward smile from me.

"Yes, that would be great," I said.

Charlie turned his head towards the inside of the room. "Your highness! Miss Cassie Carmichael is here and she would like to see you!"

"Yes, I know, Charles." Coleman's deep voice was laced with irritation. "I could hear your conversation."

"Oh, well should I let her in, then?"

"Yes, Charles."

He looked back at me with his big toothy smile and opened the door widely. I stepped inside and found Coleman standing up next to his favorite red armchair, running his hands through his hair.

"Hello, Miss Cassie. What brings you here at this time?" he asked rigidly.

"Nothing too important," I said.

A soft smile rose on his face. "Really? Just here to chat, then?"

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that I'm going home tomorrow morning."

The trace of a soft smile dropped from his face. "Charles, please leave the room," he instructed.

"Yessir!" Charlie's eyes were huge.

"Wait, no—" I began as Charlie left.

"You're going home?" Coleman asked, his eyes nearly as wide as Charlie's had been.

"Yes, but I'm not going home home. What I mean is, I'm going back to Virginia for a little over a week."

"Oh." The relief on his face was obvious. For such a confusing man, he wasn't particularly adept at hiding his emotions. Then, it looked as though a disturbing thought had struck him. "Why are you travelling home so suddenly?" he asked.

"Well, I was talking to my good friend last night, Lydia, and I realized that I haven't been home for a while, and she said I should come visit. She'll be home, too. For spring break."

"I see," he said. "That should be nice, then."

"I'm excited," I said. "Also, I know things were kind of weird yesterday, but I didn't want you to think that I was leaving because of that."

"Oh, right. Of course not!" He smiled awkwardly. We didn't say anything for a moment. "Well, I suppose I see you in a week or so."

I nodded. "I'll see you then."