Chapter 41

The following afternoon, I was back in Aregano. I'd flown home in the private jet with Princess Calista and her father, the latter of whom wasn't quite as outwardly amicable as his wife was towards me. However, I'd made light conversation with the Princess, who said that even she felt bad for Nikolas.

"I don't like the man," she'd told me. "He's very proud and condescending, but...well, it is quite a sad ordeal with his father. I wouldn't wish it on anyone." In a very tender moment, she'd turned to her Father, who had smiled at her and taken her hand.

"I am not going anywhere anytime soon, Calista," he'd said.

"Cassie, you're back!" I was greeted eagerly by Sherry as I entered my room.

"Hi Sherry," I said, trying to inject enthusiasm into my voice.

"You must be tired from the flight," she said. "But tell me, how was the ball?"

I sighed a sigh that held a bit of whimsical remembrance. "The ball itself was magical." I waltzed over to my bed and back-flopped onto it. "It was absolutely beautiful." I thought of the snowy trees, the icicles, and the twinkling lights. I thought about the way my blue skirts swished and the sparkle in my crystal shoes.

"Was it really?!" Sherry seemed delighted.

"It really was a winter wonderland. And Nikolas—" I froze for a moment. I thought of the way his blue eyes looked into mine, the soft way he took my hand. I thought of the way he'd kissed me—sweet and hesitant at first, but then confident and passionate as time went on. "Well, he was good to me."

"I can't believe you went to the ball with Prince Nikolas!" Sherry said. "I mean, he seems awfully cold, but he is handsome. I'll give him that."

"He is," I murmured. "He's very handsome." I sat up and looked at Sherry, who was standing and watching me with a smile on her face. "The ball was a dream, Sherry. And then the next day, Prince Nikolas's dad died."

Sherry frowned. "I saw that on the news yesterday. I was just on my phone, and...well. It's too bad."

"Yeah," I said. "I feel really bad for him. For Nikolas."

"I'll bet," Sherry said. "You two are good friends."

"Yeah, we are." I leaned forward and rested my forearms on my knees.

A knock at the door interrupted my ponderings, and I watched Sherry scurry over to the door to see who was there. She opened the door just a bit, her body obscuring my view from whoever was there. "Prince—Prince Coleman!" she cried. "Your—your highness! Uhh, welcome!"

"Hi there. Sherry, was it?" I could hear Coleman's deep voice, dripping with honey.

"Um, yessir. Yes! That's uh, that's me!"

"Sherry, is Cassie in there?"

"She is!"

"And, might I come in?" he asked.

"Yes! Um, I mean, let me—" she glanced back at me. "Let me see if, uh—"

"Come on in, Coleman!" I called.

Sherry opened the door more widely for Coleman and stepped out of the way for him. "Thank you, Sherry," he said, flashing her his award-winning smile that I could see was practically making her weak in the knees. I could hardly blame her, honestly.

He strode towards me with those long legs of his, and I in turn made no effort whatsoever to move from the side of my bed. "What's up?" I asked.

Over a collared shirt, he wore a green knitted sweater that made his eyes look even more shocking than normal, and dark pants. "Come with me." He extended his hand towards me, smiling like little boy on Christmas morning.