Chapter 59

Happy New Year, everyone!

"Oh. I see," Coleman said, raising his eyebrows. "Well then, take her someplace with good food."

"Of course, your highness," Harry said.

I saw a familiar head of sunshine locks come in through the door, and decided to bid Harry adieu for the time being, especially since I would see him the next day.

"Harry, I look forward to dinner tomorrow. I'm excited to discuss my career with you in greater detail," I told him.

"I look forward to it as well," he said.

"I'm going to say hi to Mercucio, but I'll see you tomorrow." I smiled at him and headed off towards Mercucio. No reason to use all my talking points with Harry when we were going to be alone the next day for a couple of hours.

Merc smiled widely when he saw me. "Cassie C!" He swung an arm around me. "How are you doing?"

"Mercucio! I'm doing well, and you?"

"I'm just dandy." He led me away from the crowd as he swiped a flute of

"Se la vie," I muttered.

"You might want to take your arm off from her," Coleman's voice cut in, stopping our stroll around the courtyard and causing Mercucio to whirl me around. "You wouldn't want Lord Harrison to get jealous," Coleman said.

Mercucio patted the side of my arm before taking his arm off from me. He put his newly free hand in his pocket. "Lord Harry?" He wore a cheeky grin. "It seems like you're the one who's jealous."

Coleman smirked slightly. "I'm not the one taking Cassie out on a date."

Merc turned to me, his eyes brimming with curiosity. "A date?"

I smiled awkwardly and was glad no one else was in the courtyard so as to overhear our conversation. It was a bit nippy outside, luckily, so no one seemed too keen to loiter outside. "It's not a date, per se," I began. "Lord Harry and I are going to dinner to—

"Exactly," Coleman interrupted. "The two of you are getting dinner. That's a date, Cass."

"Well listen, it's not exactly that because we're going to—"

"I'm going to be honest," Mercucio interrupted. He turned to Coleman. "I fail to see how Harry taking Cassie to get food is any different from all the dates you take her on, Coleman." He gestured his champagne glass towards him.

Coleman furrowed his brow. "What are you talking about?"

"I swear, all you do is hang out with Cassie."

"That is—that is not true." Coleman's eyes were darting about, probably looking to see who was overhearing. Fortunately, no one had joined us outside yet.

"Coleman was telling me about when he showed you all his fancy cars and how excited you were to see them. He really thought your reactions were very cute," Mercucio told me with a grin.

"Really?" I asked, doing my best to sound amused instead of genuinely . Did he really say that? I wondered. My brain was suddenly trying to analyze this scrap of information, but I pushed it aside. There's no time for that right now.

"I did not—" Coleman pursed his lips. "I mean, yes, but no. I only mean, I, I did not call her very cute. I only, I meant that it was cute that she was excited about my cars."

"Oh, sorry. Guess I butchered that story then," Mercucio said sarcastically.

"Look, I like my cars very much!" he snapped.