Gratitude

Your wounds now tended to, Otto wraps your arm around him and he helps you back into the bedroom. He leads you slowly, not wanting to rush you or push you, allowing you to lean on him as much as you need.

"Otto.. thank you.." you say between each painful step.

"Don't thank me y/n... this was my fault, and before you say it wasn't, please allow me to explain," he sits you on the bed gently, adjusting the pillows to allow your back to have proper support.

You sigh, tired of fighting with him, "Okay fine, let's say for the sake of the argument, this was somehow your fault." you sit back, pillows molding to your back as Otto sits next to you.

"That day, when you left my office and found me to still be on campus, that guy approached me-"

"He's not just a guy.. I can't believe I haven't mentioned it yet! Otto, that's my ex-boyfriend, x/n."

I didn't know that... How could I not see it? I could tell he was danger. That his intent was impure. "He started saying these horrible things like-"

"How I'm doomed to meet the same fate as Rosie?" you interrupt.

"Yes.. how did you-" Otto says, stunned.

"He gave me the same speech right before he beat the ever living sh*t out of me. Listen, you couldn't have known he was going to act, at least not so soon and certainly not here", you say curling into him, fighting the pain.

Otto breaks down, "I really thought... you were dead... I thought I'd lost you my love.." He holds his head in his hands, sobbing. Why couldn't I sense his intent like I did before? What's wrong with me?

You remove his hands from his face, wiping his tears, "I'm not going anywhere, not if I can help it. I promise." You nuzzle into his chest, holding him tight.

"Well that's good to hear," he says.

"So tell me, what happened up on that roof?"

"Please don't be angry with me.." Otto pleads.

"Otto, what did you do?" You ask again.

"After I pulled him off you, I carried him up to the roof and.. I may have hit him.. a couple times.." he says hesitating which each breath, afraid of your reaction.

"And?"

"And what? That's it, truly" he assures.

"That's it?! I thought for sure you'd done worse with how you were dodging the subject earlier" you chuckle, relieved.

"I was afraid you'd be upset with me, because I must be honest, I was... fully intent on killing him, but..." he stops, looking at his arms.

"But?"

"They stopped me.."

"They stopped you?!"

"'A dead man can't be held accountable' they said, and they were right. As much as I wanted to end him in that moment, I'd rather see him brought to justice."

You sit up, puzzled. "But....I thought you were in control?"

"Yes and no. The chip is still damaged, I've just relearned how to take control. But the voices.. in my head.. I can still.. hear them. They tell me what they want.. what they sense.. even when it's not wanted."

"Oh.. Did they tell you I was in danger?"

Otto sighs, "No and that's what plagues me now. Why did they alert me that day you came out of the psychology building but not today?"

"I don't know but I'm just grateful you heard me."

"I feel terrible that I couldn't stop him..."

You snap, "Hey stop that! I told you, this isn't your fault. I'm not upset with you babe. Go ahead, ask them"

"What?" he says, baffled that you're embracing his additions like this.

"You said they communicate with you right? You felt x/n's intent that day, so feel mine. Ask them."

Otto sits up, allowing his arms to hover over you. They click and whir, glowing white. Otto's eyebrows furrow with confusion as they tell him the truth.

She really isn't angry at all? What is this?

"So? What do they have to say?" you say, looking at them hover back to his side.

"They sense no anger, only love and.. gratitude?" he says astonished. I don't understand? She really doesn't blame me?! After all this she still.. loves me?

You yawn, "see I told you," and you nuzzle back into Otto's chest.

"Okay fine, you were right." He chuckles, still confused.

"Can I get that in writing to use later?" you giggle.

Otto bursts out laughing, "Anything you want dearest."

He cuddles you, being careful not to hurt you, and gives you a light kiss on the top of your head. "You rest now sweetheart, I'll wake you for dinner if you feel well enough to eat."

"I could always eat, especially if you're cooking" you say before you drift off to sleep, soothed by the rise and fall of Otto's chest.

**
Otto makes sure you are sound asleep, and gently lays you down on your side of the bed. He slowly gets up out of the bed, trying his best not to disturb you. His arms pull the blanket over you.

Once he's up, he watches you for a moment. His arms hover around you, clicking quietly. He stays for a little while, watching as your body rises and falls with each breath. Breathe Otto, she's okay. She's just sleeping.. She's safe now..

He walks back out into the main room, looking at the mess of wood that lay near the window. Another thing to fix around here I guess.

His arms go to work, collecting the larger pieces as he follows with a broom, sweeping the smaller splinters into a pile. His wind wanders, why didn't they warn me? Am I losing their insight? All these years.. I've wanted the voices to stop but.. at what cost? If losing control again means y/n is safer... do I dare try it? No.. no I couldn't possibly do that. Otto quickly shakes the thoughts away, continuing to clean.