The Statement

Another sunrise greets you as your eyes slowly open - welcoming the new day. You roll over sleepily but your arm falls on an empty pillow. Your eyes shoot open as you sit up with haste. Quickly scanning the room, looking for any signs of Otto. The bathroom lights are off.. no smell of coffee..

A note on the nightstand on his side of the bed catches your eye, and you reach across the bed to grasp it in your hands.

I'm sorry to have to leave like this my dear. I was called to campus early for a meeting. I put my number in your phone. Do not hesitate to call if you need me. I love you sweetheart - Otto

You chuckle, I love how he signs off like I don't know who wrote it

Going to place the letter back down on the side table, you see a small white card. As you turn it over you see the names of the detectives that Otto mentioned.

I guess it's finally time I call them..

You hold the card in your hand, hesitating. Your thumb rubs the piece of paper, rerunning the story in your head as you slowly dial the number into your phone.

"Hello?" the deep voice on the other end of the call asks.

"Y-yes this is y/n y/l/n, you spoke to my-- Dr. Octavius earlier in the week?"

"Yes, that's me," the detective speaks.

Breathe, y/n. You can do this.

"I was calling to..uh..give my statement.." you force out.

"Well, we normally do it down here at the station, but under the circumstances, we can do it over the phone."

"Thank you...so um, what would you like to know?" Your nerves are growing by the minute, but you force yourself to not hang up the phone and pull the blanket over your face.

"Let's just run the story from the top, but please take your time. I know that it may be hard for you to keep reliving this."

You take a deep breath, collecting your thoughts before replaying the happenings in your head. You tell the detective everything, of course, tweaking a few details ensuring your story lines up with the others in the important ways.

"Thank you for your time, Ms. y/l/n, this will definitely help build your case for the trial."

The what now.

"Did you just say trial?" you say, flabbergasted at what you just heard.

I knew it was a possibility but... hearing it just made it so much more real.

"Yes, a trial. These types of cases typically get let go without enough evidence, but thanks to your story and the video footage from Dr. Octavius, you have more than enough to have x/n convicted." He explains.

"Oh okay, right, that's uh..that's great," you say gulping.

The detective thanks you again for your time, and you hang up the phone.

Okay, y/n. It's done. You did it.

You felt the relief roll off your shoulders, but his words still replay in your head like a broken record: "...help build your trial...help build your trial...help build your trial." You try to shake the words from your mind.

Getting up from the bed, you find yourself in a better mood, feeling better now that you got it all off your chest. You were worried about the trial, but you knew you needed to get it off your mind and start trying to return to normalcy.

But how? How can I come back from this?  You ponder to yourself.

Eyeing Otto's note, it dawns on you. I should go back to class.

You say it out loud, matter of factly. "I'm going back to class," you say to no one in particular.

Walking towards the closet, you rummage through your small section to find a shirt to wear. As you get dressed, you reach for your phone, scrolling through your contacts to find Otto's.

Dr. Otto Octavius

Smart putting it in there like that.. god forbid this trial involves the defense looking into our phones and sees his number next to the name "Otto" or worse "Babe" with hearts or something.

You pause, reminding yourself to keep the text somewhat formal.

I've decided to return to campus and resume my classes.

You hit send and toss your phone into your pocket. With your bag in hand you walk out into the main room to gather the rest of your stuff off his desk. The desk is neatly cluttered with papers labeled "to be graded" and ideas scribbled onto the lined paper that lay adjacent. The pile of papers labeled "y/n" lays on the side of the desk along with a note. Taped to the note is a key.

I've made a copy of the key to the apartment for you

He sure does love writing me notes. It's like a scavenger hunt. The key fumbles in your hand. Official key to the place.. SWEEEET

You slip the key into a secure pocket in your bag, finish gathering your belongings, and head out the door, making sure to lock it behind you. As the sound of your footsteps echo down the stairwell, your pace slows down. You haven't left the building since that day. The comfort of the studio fades away as you slowly open the door exiting the building. The crisp air hits you like a ton of bricks. Your eyes wander to the concrete below you. The memories try and creep their way into the front of your mind but they are quickly shut down as the sound of a car horn grounds you.

I've got this! Only a few hours then I'll be home with Otto again... I can do this.

The walk to campus seemed longer than it was on that infamous Friday. Perhaps due to the pace you kept up then. Excited and eager to live with Otto.But now the pace is different, full of anxiety and nerves.

**
Seeing campus brings you relief. A familiar place with familiar faces is exactly what you need to get through the day. It seems like so long ago that you met Otto here, seeing as so much has happened since then.

Finally you get to your class and plop down in your usual seat. You sit back in your chair, relaxed and relieved that you made it this far, unpacking your notebook and pens, ready for lecture to begin. Everything feels normal. No one bats an eye at you because in their eyes, you never missed a day - it's as if nothing ever happened. It's just a normal Tuesday and that brings immense comfort. Your professor comes into the lecture hall and as class begins you check your phone to check if Otto had responded but alas, no new notifications.

Oh.. well that's okay. I'll see him later anyway.

"Okay class let's begin!" the professor belts. Your attention now fully on class, any thoughts of the trial melt away as the normalcy resumes and the day begins.
-------------

Thank you all for your patience. Life has been crazy to say the least. I am so blown away by the amount of love and support from you all not just here but over on tiktok as well. I am grateful for all of you <3

I've got more exams coming up so writing will be a bit delayed but I promise I will return with more. This story is about to get intense once again so buckle up!

Love you all -lonelyxwrites