Hungover and on the News

This morning's sunset was not welcome, unlike other mornings, as it harshly penetrated your eyelids, your head pounding. You rub your eyes as the second sense triggered- smell. Coffee was brewing in the kitchen, and the fumes seemed to lift you out of bed. Stumbling into the main room, Otto's arms turn to face you.

They whisper to him she doesn't look good Otto. Why didn't you let us stop her Otto?

He slams a plate down into the sink, out of frustration, shattering it. "Will you please shut up?!"

"Otto? Are you okay?" your eyes open a bit wider, further woken up by the harsh sound of the plate breaking against the metal sink.

He takes a deep breath before responding rather harshly, "I'm fine. Just slipped." The arms chattering away was driving him mad, he couldn't even hear his own thoughts.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, his tone cold and serious.

"I'm okay? Just a headache but I'll be fine. What happened last night?"

Otto turned around, leaning against the counter, wiping his hands off as he spoke. "I picked you up from the party after you called me drunk. You were talking a lot about me last night and bff/n called me, concerned and saying it would be a good idea to come get you. You fell asleep on the way home you-" a softer side of Otto reemerged. "You were drunk babbling all the way home until you passed out in my arms." He walks over to you and hands you a cup of coffee and some breakfast: scrambled eggs and toast and kisses you gently on the forehead. "You okay enough to come to class today?"

"Yeah yeah I'll be fine."

"Are you sure about that?" Protect. Protect. Protect.

"Yes Otto. I'll be fine" What is it with him recently?! "Are you okay to go to class?" you say trying to pry any kind of information out of him.

"Yeah why wouldn't I be?" You have to go! You need to be with her! We have to go!

You brush off this new attitude Otto seems to have with you. Shit what did I really say last night...

"Thanks for the breakfast babe" you call out to him as you migrate over to the couch and turn on the TV. You hope your endearing term will loosen him up.

Upon hearing your soft tone, Otto's mind cleared briefly. "Of course! Anytime my love. Do you need anything else?" he asks but you don't answer. "Y/n?" Otto calls out for you, but something on the TV has all of your attention.

"Otto?" you ask frightened "Is that.."

"Huh? Oh my-" Otto says, his hand covering his mouth. He comes to join you on the couch.

On the TV is revealed a picture of x/n, and a news anchor chimes in,

"Good morning New York City! We have a breaking news story coming to you this morning. A man is to stand trial in 2 days for the attempted murder of a local college student. Sources say the student, y/n y/l/n was brutally attacked outside of her apartment Saturday morning and you'll never believe the unlikely hero that came to her rescue. Dr. Otto Octavius, formerly know as the notorious Doctor Octopus, now a professor of atomic physics at the college, heard the student's cries for help and rushed down to her aid. He allegedly lives in the same apartment complex, renting out the abandoned apartments. After he chased the perpetrator off, he brought her to safety. All of this was caught on footage thank to security camera's places outside of the apartment complex. There is no word yet of whether Dr. Octavius will appear in court along side the student but one thing is for sure, the public opinion will surely be shifting soon."

Soon a harsher voice blasts through the speakers..

"There you have it folks! Doc Ock! Hero or menace still?! It'll be up to the public to decide! I for one want to know what Octavius is doing back teaching at the unive-" Otto shuts off the TV. Menace- that was Jameson's favorite word.

"I for one don't want to hear what that fool Jonah has to say!" he mocks, attempting to lighten the mood. He turns to talk to you and check in about what you both just saw, but as his eyes meet yours, he sees the tears begin to fall.

"Sweetheart oh gosh!" He pulls your head into his chest. Look what you did Otto!

You pull away, looking up at him, "Everything's going to change now isn't it?"

"I- I don't quite get what you mean?" he says a bit confused. She's going to leave us Otto! She's ashamed of us!

"I can't.. I can't show my face on campus.. everyone knows now.." You begin to panic. Everyone will ask about it... I'll never be able to move on!

"Hey shh c'mere" he says, holding you. "I- It's going to be okay. You won't be alone. You've got my class today and that's it right? Well now that our connection is out there, it won't look too strange if we walk together right? Hey look at me." His hand comes up underneath your chin, lifting it as he wipes the tears away with his other hand. You eyes meet his. "I've got you sweetheart."

The two of you cuddle for some time and come up with a plan.

"I'm going to do everything possible to get you through this my dear, I promise" Give us control! Let us handle it!

"T-Thank you" you sniffle and give him a loving kiss on the cheek. "I love you"

Otto smiled as your lips grazed his cheek. "I love you too. Go ahead and get ready and we'll face the world.. together"

**

As you arrive on campus, Otto walking beside you, all eyes are locked onto you. Everyone stares not only at you but Otto as well and a few take pictures of you two. Reporter's swarm and as the camera's click, the arms form a barrier around you, blocking you both from view.

Otto looks at you, concern washing over his face. Without us you'd be lost Otto. You can't protect her without us! Otto shakes off the thoughts. "You okay?"

You simply nod as you watch the arms shield you from the eyes of the public. Eventually you reach the science building and head inside. Just as Otto opens the door for you to go inside the lecture hall the dean pulls him aside.

"Octavius I need to speak with you" he said rather angrily.

"Now? I've got a class in 5 minutes." Otto looks at you, darting his eyes to tell you to go inside, but you stand there, paralyzed.

"Yes now!" the dean snapped. "Dr. Johnson will be teaching your class today, now let's go."

Your breath speeds up as you watch Otto being escorted away.

Well shit..

-----------

Happy April!! I promise this chapter is not a joke XD

Thank you all for your continued support on here and on tiktok as well! We hit 27K reads here and 1000 followers over on tiktok. You all are so amazing <3