| 34 |

I let out a small whine of complaint as Jungwon excitedly pulled on my arm and over towards the back entrance to the dining hall, in which the royal family was to eat all their dinners. 

"Why do I have to sit here?" I complained as he rushed to grab the nearest chair for me to sit down on.

"Because I want you to hear how well your prince is gonna do," he excused and sat me down on the chair, before carefully cupping my face and giving my lips a soft peck, "just wait here and listen to how well I will do," he grinned widely before pushing past the small opening between the doors to the dining room.

I let out a soft sigh as I flattened down my maid apron, which I had gotten into along with the rest of my uniform after lunch time much against Jungwon's wishes. He had insisted for me to continue resting a bit more before getting back to work, but I had refused.

I didn't exactly know what to do as I sat quietly and waited for the royal family to start their dinner. I'm not even sure how I felt with sitting where I sat, it seemed like I was eavesdropping on their conversations, hearing things I shouldn't. But then again, Jungwon wanted me to be here.

"Your dinner," a voice from one of the servers spoke and I immediately straightened my back to listen to what was gonna be said.

The first many minutes were mere chatter back and forth between the King and Queen, once in a while between Jungwon and his mom. But not as much as it was between the King and Queen.

"And tomorrow when Princess Taehee will-" the King started, immediately getting cut off by his son.

"Take home, thank god," Jungwon calmly finished, I could only imagine the careless look he had on his face, even though he was very satisfied with his remark.

"Be spending the whole day with you, so you can see the right choice is her," the King spoke, a hint of frustration in his voice as it went quiet. Not even the sound of cutlery against plates or a glass being set down could be heard.

"I already know who my right choice is, and it is not the Princess," Jungwon spoke, no hint of emotion in his voice. It didn't even waver one bit.

"You're not gonna get any permission to develop anything with that handmaid," the King insisted.

"Well, maybe it's not the worst-" the Queen started only to be interrupted by a loud slam in the table.

"No! I will not have the royal heritage painted with the filth of a peasant," the King stated and it went dead silent.

The room almost radiated the dangerous tension that was between Jungwon and his father at the moment. I could even feel it, despite not even being in the room or being able to see the two.

"I love her," Jungwon concluded. The way he said it was in a way that made it very clear that this was not to be discussed and he wasn't gonna change his mind at any moment, not even if his dad had to say something, "I'll leave you all proof of why I have every right to love her and reject the Princess on your desk before nightfall. According to all laws and paragraphs you can't seperate us, and you are very well aware of what I can do if you're to break any paragraph or rule. Are you not, father?"

I had to lean back in the chair and cover my mouth with my hand in order for me to let out a snort of disbelief. I had never heard Jungwon speak with so much authority in his voice, let alone so much threat. 

"Dinner's dismissed," the King grumbled and the screech of a chair being pushed against floor echoed out, quickly followed by a door slamming.

"Sweetie, don't bring up miss Lim in dinners from now on," the Queen calmly spoke, "you know it's a touchy subject for your dad."

"My father wrongly accused and sentenced the girl I love to a castle punishment. He made sure she was painted in a bad light and that she got beaten right in front of my eyes, knowing very well I can't interfere once a punishment is being given. I do not owe him any favours," Jungwon coldly declared.

"I get that you love her, but the more you talk about her in front of your dad, the worse you might just make it for her," the Queen softly reminded.

"I'll make sure he won't have any chance to be around her when I'm not by her side," Jungwon assured before I could hear chair screeching once again, "I'll hand father the files to prove him I'm right."

Fast footsteps approached the door I was sat at. Quickly I got up and pulled the chair with me to the side as Jungwon barged out through the door. For a second it almost seemed like he had forgotten he had situated me outside the dining hall by the way he marched straight past me before freezing and turning to look at me.

"Go up and get changed into your pajamas, I'll be up in a moment," he smiled softly as I just stood and stared at him, "what?"

"I just... I'm shocked," I excused with a small shake of my head and he just continued to smile softly at me, "you're... you're the same Jungwon that just spoke in there."

"I am," he nodded at me, "why?"

"I just... how... no wait... nevermind," I shook my head and he let out a small laugh at me, "I gotta go to your room and get my pajamas on, yeah. That's what I gotta do," I nodded with a small hum.

I could hear Jungwon chuckle quietly behind me as I rushed off to go to his room and get changed into my pajamas, like he had suggested for me to do.