⓿➒: Out All Night Long

Delilah figured that she'd rather be at home than at another Friday night dinner, but she had obligations to sit with her grandmother and eat salads. Delilah was picking the avocado out because she didn't particularly like avocado with salads. Maybe if it was something other than salad.

"Your grandfather called and he said that he was going to get you both something from Prague," Emily said to Delilah and Rory.

Rory sighed, "Wow, Prague. Lila, how amazing is it that he's going to Prague?"

Delilah nodded.

"It's lovely," said Emily, "very dramatic castles everywhere."

"Did you know the cell that Václav Havel was held in is now a hostel? You can stay there for like fifty dollars a night," Rory said. She looked at Lorelai, "Hey, maybe on our big trip to Europe, we could go to Prague and stay in his cell."

"Absolutely," said Lorelai. "And then we go to Turkey and stay in that place from Midnight Express." She had a tone that Delilah couldn't tell if her mother was being sarcastic or not.

"Lorelai, Lila, what are you two doing?" asked Emily.

"I don't like avocado on my salad," Delilah said.

"Same," said Lorelai. "I'm getting rid of it."

"Since when do you both not like avocado?" asked Emily.

"Since the day I said, 'Gross. What is this?' and you said, 'Avocado,'" Lorelai said.

"I don't dislike avocado, I just hate it being a part of my salads. I like it on nachos or sandwiches though," said Delilah.

Emily turned to Rory, "I'm focusing on you now. Tell me all about the Chilton formal next week."

"There's a formal?" Delilah and Lorelai asked in unison.

Lorelai snapped her fingers and said, "Ha! You owe me a soda."

Rory looked at Emily, "How do you know about the formal?"

"Yeah, how do you know about the formal?" Lorelai asked her mother.

"I read my Chilton newsletter," replied Emily.

"Since when do you get a Chilton newsletter?" asked Lorelai.

"Well as major contributor to Rory's education, I figured I had the right to ask for a newsletter to be sent to my house," said Emily as she got up to get a copy of the newsletter.

"Are you serious?" asked Lorelai.

"And it's a good thing, too, since you don't bother to read yours, and apparently Lila never heard of the formal," said Emily. "One of us should be up to date on the goings-on at Rory's school."

"That's because Lila doesn't even go to Chilton," said Lorelai.

"Do you want to go to Chilton, Lila?" asked Emily. "It's no problem for us to pay your tuition."

"No," said Delilah quickly. "I mean, my grades won't allow me into Chilton and my boyfriend and my g – good friend both go to Stars Hollow High, so I don't want to go to Chilton."

"Your boyfriend?" said Emily. She tried to remember any of Delilah's friends. "Is it that Matthew boy?"

"Yes, Grandma," replied Delilah.

"When did that happen?" asked Emily.

"A few days after my and Rory's birthday," replied Delilah.

Emily frowned, "I would assume it was the day of your second party, considering how awkward you two looked."