⓿➏: A Coming Out Ball

When Lorelai rang the doorbell, a new maid answered the door.

The maid said, "Yes?"

"Hey," Lorelai said.

"Hello," replied the maid.

"You're new," Lorelai pointed out.

"I started yesterday," the maid replied.

Lorelai asked, "What's your name?"

"Liesl," the woman answered.

"Okay, Liesl," Lorelai said. "I'm Brigette. This is Gretel, and she's Louisa."

Delilah held back from rolling her eyes, because it seemed like Lorelai was mocking Liesl. "Emily and Richard are expecting us."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Liesl said. "Please come in." She let them in. "Uh, can I get you a drink?"

It sounded like Emily and Richard were arguing.

"You know what, that's okay. I can get it," Lorelai said. "Why don't you go hide in the kitchen?"

Liesl asked, "Really?" Lorelai nodded. Liesl looked relieved, "Thank you." She took off.

There was still arguing.

Rory asked, "What is going on?"

"I don't know," Lorelai replied. "I think George and Martha are joining us for dinner."

Richard and Emily came down the stairs. Richard was saying, "I didn't know that my every conversation needed to be reported to you, I stand corrected."

"I have been the co-chair of the Starlight Foundation for the last eight years," Emily said.

"I know this, Emily," Richard said.

"And the Black and White Ball is the main fundraising event of the season," Emily continued.

"Its one year," Richard replied.

"The co-chair cannot miss the main fundraising event," Emily continued.

Richard joked, "Why? Won't the chair be there?"

"Is this a joke to you?" asked Emily.

"Emily, I have too many things to take care of at work," Richard said. "I don't have time for frivolous parties."

Emily started, "Frivolous parties? Friv – ooh." She went upstairs.

"Well, where are you going? Come back here," Richard said, going after her.

"That looks and sounds bad," Delilah said.

"I know," Lorelai agreed, clearly enjoying the fight. "I wish we had popcorn."

"Mom," Rory started.

Lorelai shushed her, "Incoming."

Emily and Richard went back down the steps.

Emily was reading from some invitations, "The Hartford Zoological Silent Auction, the Mark Twain House Restoration Fund luncheon, the Harriet Beecher Stowe Literacy Auction..."

"I can read those myself, you know," Richard said.

Emily said, "This is the fourth event you've taken upon yourself to turn down on our behalf. And I am on the board of all those foundations. Now how do you think that makes me look?"