[1.4.14]

𝘚𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯: 𝘖𝘯𝘦
𝘌𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳: 𝘈𝘯 𝘈𝘧𝘧𝘢𝘪𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘏𝘰𝘯𝘰𝘳
𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘐𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

𝘚𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯: 𝘖𝘯𝘦 𝘌𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳: 𝘈𝘯 𝘈𝘧𝘧𝘢𝘪𝘳 𝘰𝘧 𝘏𝘰𝘯𝘰𝘳 𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘐𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯

______________________
two days before

"I'm sorry, you want me to do what?" I ask, chuckling as I look up at Frederick with wide eyes. Behind me, mama's jaw was practically on the floor in shock at his words.

"I want you to join me at the castle... Friedrich will be inviting Miss Bridgerton and Lady Bridgerton... and I wanted to invite you both as well,"  Frederick reiterates.

______________________

"Is that her," one of the attendees whispers rather loudly, glancing towards his wife as she looked Daphne over with wide eyes.

"The incomparable who captured the Prince's eye," his wife whispered, nodding her head slightly towards Daphne as they continue to stare.

"A mere wisp of a young lady, and a commoner at that," another man whispers, glancing towards his wife before offering Lady Bridgerton a small smile.

"Everyone seems to have quite an opinion," mama chuckles, greeting Lady Bridgerton with a small smile.

"How long do you think it will be before Her Majesty arrives?" Lady Bridgerton asks, glancing toward the food-filled table with longing. "I may very well faint from hunger."

Lady Bridgerton glances around the room for a few seconds before picking up one of the sweets.

"Mama!" Daphne exclaims softly, "we are at court!"

"No one is looking at me, dearest," Lady Bridgerton says, bringing the treat up to her mouth and taking a bite.

Daphne watches her mother in shock as she takes another small bite of the food, "mama!"

"That is quite delicious," Lady Brdigerton exclaims, softly chuckling as she glances toward mama, "have you tried these, Charlotte?"

"Oh yes, I tried one when I first arrive," Mama said, glancing toward the small bite of food that Lady Bridgerton was holding. "They are rather tasty..."

Mama turns towards me and offers me a small smile, "have you seen Fred- the Duke since we arrive, my darling?"

I shake my head and look around the room, trying my best to ignore Daphne and her mother's conversation beside us, "no... he said that he has a few matters to attend to before he is able to see us-"

Suddenly the doors to the side of the grand room open, causing the entire room to fall silent and turn toward the sound.

"Her Majesty, Queen Charlotte," the footman called, stepping forwards and out of the way, "and her esteemed nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia."

Fredrick suddenly appeared beside me, offering me a small smile before nodding respectfully toward mama. "Sorry that I was late... Her Majesty wanted to talk to me and Fred before they made their grand entrance."

"It is no problem, Frederick..." I say smiling up at him, hoping that the blush that I felt rise up towards my face, wasn't evident on my face. It didn't matter that we had known each other for a few months, or that we had even become rather close friends, my immediate reaction to seeing him was blushing and smiling.

"Shall we see what my dear Charlotte wants with your friend?" Frederick asked, offering me his arm.

I nod my head and loop my arm through his, starting off towards the crowd and quickly finding myself in the front, just off to the side. Daphne and her mother were in clear view, as were the Queen and Prince Friedrich.

"-I find myself in raptures over your acceptance of my invitation to the palace" Prince Friedrich continues, smiling warmly towards the girl.

Daphne chuckles as she looks back at him, a small smile appearing on her face. "You flatter me, Your Highness."

"I cannot help it," Friedrich replies smoothly, "you are perfection itself."

"Offer her your gift," Queen Charlotte snaps, turning her head to look at her nephew with a small smirk.

Friedrich nods his head before turning and glancing at Daphne, "I have brought you a gift."

He turns back around and reaches into the small wooden box that one of the footmen was holding, pulling out a stunning silver necklace with diamonds encrusted within it.

"Charlotte helped him pick it out," Frederick muttered to me, watching as his childhood friend gingerly puts the necklace onto Daphne.

"What did Her Majesty want with you?" I ask, turning to look up at him with a furrowed brow.

He paused, looking down at me with a hidden gaze for a few seconds before smiling and shaking his head. "I... for now, it was nothing to worry about, just offering me some... advice."

Daphne's gasps cause us both to snap our gaze away from each other, looking towards her with wide eyes as swiftly turns on her heels to look at Friedrich, her own eyes widening as she sucks in another small breath.

"Miss Bridgerton, are you unwell?" Friedrich asks, looking her over with a furrowed brow.

Daphne sighs once more as she looks at the Prince, her hand reaching up to touch the exorbitant necklace. "I am perfectly well. Of course. This necklace is... quite well too."

The Queen watches on with a slightly narrowed eye, her smirk not leaving her face as she leans ever so slightly toward one of the royal advisors. "She will make a lovely Princess, will she not?" 

"Oh, of course, Your Majesty," the advisor says, nodding his head along with her as he looks back towards the couple, who were now just staring at each other silently.

_______

shorter chapter today! not to worry, though! the next one is slightly longer to make up for how short this one is!
don't forget to comment and vote!
-T