[2.6.20]

𝘚𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯: 𝘛𝘸𝘰
𝘌𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦 𝘚𝘪𝘹: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘩𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦
𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘛𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺: 𝘋𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴, 𝘋𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴

𝘚𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯: 𝘛𝘸𝘰 𝘌𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦 𝘚𝘪𝘹: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘩𝘰𝘪𝘤𝘦𝘗𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘛𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺: 𝘋𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴, 𝘋𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴

______________________

"Edwina you must take a breath, all this running and nerves just has you overworked," I say, taking her arm and gently pulling her to the couch. "We don't want you to hyperventilate on your big day, now do we?"

"It is just nerves," Lady Mary adds. "We will call for tea, and once you have something in your stomach, you will be strong enough to go back out there."

"Yes? Tea sounds like a wonderful idea, Lady Mary. Something nice and refreshing for you to drink... perhaps, while we wait for the tea, you can drink some water, yes? Nice, cool, refreshing water to help your breathing?" I say gently, "remember, in.... and out.... in.... and out-"

"The Viscount- the Viscount will understand, yes, Florence?" Lady Mary adds, looking at me with a raised brow.

"Of course, he will, Lady Mary," I agree. I turn to Edwina and lower my voice, watching as her breath slowly being to even itself out, "he will understand, everyone will."

Lady Mary looks to Kate, who had just arrived in the room. "Kate, perhaps you might find that tea-"

"It is not tea that I want!" Edwina roars, standing up from the couch and taking a few steps forward toward her mother and sister, her voice shaking as she continues. "What I want is the truth. Oh. Suddenly, your words fail you, Sister?"

Lady Mary looks between her two daughters with wide eyes. "Edwina. Kate. I am not sure what is going on-"

"I shall tell you what is going on, Mama," Edwina says breathlessly, stalking forwards to her mother with a fire in her eyes. I rush after her, hoping that I could at least catch her if she does faint from the stress. "After a lifetime of filling my head with nonsense, of all this talk of great, gallant notions and looks between lovers-"

Kate shakes her head with confusion as she watches her sister, "Edwina-"

"You have feelings for him!" Edwina cries, "all this time, you wanted him for yourself."

Kate, who looks to be on the verge of tears, vehemently shakes her head at Edwina's words, "no, that is not true."

"Oh, you cannot deny it now, Kate," Edwina exclaims, "How could I have been such a fool? You lied to me again and again. You told- you told me. You told me we had put all secrets to rest, but no. The Sheffield inheritance, that was merely the beginning of your deception."