Blitz/The Demon Hand

The Connors were still taking care of Derek. "Is he, uh, gonna stay here or what?" John asked, fiddling with his fingers and uncertain about the answer even as he asked the question."

"Let's see if he lives first," Sarah offered as the front door opened and Cameron walked in wearing an oversized uniform that bunched and folded in awkward places. "And somewhere in the city, a naked cop bleeds in an alley." John turned back to his cereal, poorly hiding a grin.

"The hand," Cameron said, holding out a sheet of paper to Sarah who took it and read it over. "I couldn't acquire it."

"Why not?" Sarah asked, looking to her for the answer as she still held the page.

"The FBI has it," Cameron answered and Sarah turned to the two of them before she could finish speaking.

"You two are playing hooky today," she said, gesturing between them.

"Today?" John asked, as if horrified by the idea. "No, I can't miss class today, mom."

"Neither can I." Bella said.

"Well, we have to find the hand," Sarah countered, touching her own to the surface of the island and spreading her fingers. "Destroy it. No loose ends. Cyberdyne builds Skynet ..."

"With the chip, remember?" John finished for her with his own answer, his hair falling into his eyes and barely hiding the roll in them.

"And the hand," Sarah said, trying to smile at his stubbornness and coming off more than hard.

"Look, the feds have it now, mom," John said, standing up to gather his bag and books while leaving his empty bowl unattended. "I can't help. Besides, absent gets us on their radar." The spoon clinked as he passed it before going around her, slinging his bag over his shoulder as his feet continued their angry step to and out the door.

"I can play hooky," Cameron told her.

"Find Dmitri," she advised, leaning back on the edge and curling her fingers around it. "Derek says he has a sister that teaches ballet. Start with her. Low profile, no guns."

Cameron nodded, taking the order and starting to walk away with her police issued boots echoing in the hall.

"You might want to change first," Sarah called after her.

~Later~

John, Bella and Derek were talking about Cameron. "Yeah, Cameron. What a joke. Walking around like a person. It's not a person," he angrily whispered. "You don't know her. I can hear her thoughts you know." Bella said.

"How?" John asked.

"I'm fae. Remember?." Bella said.

"Oh yeah. Cool." John said.

"What's going on?" Sarah asked.

"You're making a mistake, the machine has to go."

"This morning you had me sending her out to do our dirty work," Sarah reminded him, standing close so despite the difference in size she seemed to tower over him.
"Dirty work is all they're good for," he burst out, his skin now almost sallow and sweat dotting the base of his neck. "Don't let yourself think that you can train them like a pet, because it'll be the last thing you ever think."

"You should be resting." Sarah said as they left.

Bella was dreaming, no, more like having a nightmare that night.

~Dream~

Where am I? She asked herself. She spun and saw two Dillons and realized she was in his dream when she heard something click on the metal floor.