021: Michael Song

Michael clicked his seatbelt into the small latch, his hand bumping into Noah's as his friend tried to click his own.

"Where are we going, boys?" Noah's dad, Mr. Wright, asked from his place at the wheel.

"Pa, I've told you this before numerous times. Felicity is a girl," Noah mumbled. He spoke so quietly that Michael was certain that his father hadn't heard him. "She wears boy clothes because it's all she has available to her at the Center."

"Fredbear's," Felicity answered politely, not seeming to care that Noah's father called her a boy.

Mr. Wright made a sound of understanding.

Michael was too distracted to care about what was being said, though. He had his eyes on Noah, who wilted like a dying flower under his father's utter perfectness and high expectations for his son. He was normally such a chirpy, happy, optimistic bundle of joy who loved to talk. But now he kept quiet and his head hung lower than Michael had ever seen. Noah hadn't even given him his normal hug when they greeted each other--instead, he just gave him a pitiful handshake with misty eyes.

Someone brutally smacked Michael's knee and he yelped, startled and in pain.

"Hey! I'm talking to you, brat!" Mr. Wright shouted, glaring at Michael in the rearview mirror. He saw Mr. Wright's hand return to the wheel and he suspected that it was he who hit him so hard. "What's your name, boy?"

Michael glanced at Noah. His head had sunk even lower, and he was squirming in his seat. He looked anxious and afraid. 

"Michael Song," Michael muttered in response.

Mr. Wright cackled amusedly. "The boy who couldn't save his twin from a serial killer?" He cackled again as Michael blushed from embarrassment and disappointment. It already hurt enough. Why did people always feel the need to make it hurt more? "Pathetic. Completely pathetic. Noah, this is someone you've befriended? What've I taught you?"

Noah stayed quiet, wrapping his arms around himself. Michael felt like he was about to cry. The tears burned his eyes. He felt a sob trying to force itself out of him. Was Noah not meant to be friends with someone like him?