036: William Afton

Michael poked William's leg, drawing his attention away from Apollo. "May I sit on your lap?" the small boy asked quietly. He looked nervous to ask. It left William stunned state, surprised by the request. Michael didn't seem like the one who wanted constant attention and care. It was rare that he even asked for a short hug on occasion.

"Oh! Yeah, sure. Of course," William finally answered as he gave his leg a gentle pat. "You never have to ask. If you want a hug or to sit on my lap, just do it. I don't mind."

Michael grinned broadly and carefully climbed onto his lap, then leaned his back against William's chest. William noticed how Mike was gripping his family necklace. 

"Where's Terrance?" Apollo asked again with a slight chuckle in his voice.

"He's in the hospital. Don't worry, though. He'll be back tomorrow," William told him.

"What? Why?" His eyes were open wide with terror for his friend, and he looked super anxious. "What happened to him? Is he okay?"

"I got him run over by a car," Michael mumbled, ashamed. He refused to look anywhere but at Apollo. "He has a broken arm and a lot of bad bruises, and they're keeping him overnight to make sure that nothing else is wrong or sets back his recovery."

"I doubt it was your fault," Apollo told him with a sad smile. William smiled, thankful Apollo said that. "Have you not let learned that he doesn't pay attention to his surroundings?"

"Yeah, you got that right," Michael grumbled. He gave such an epic eye roll at the statement that it sent Apollo and William into a fit of laughter.

"Apollo and Terrance had a similar incident like today's. It happened years ago. He and Terry and have been friends since fifth grade," William explained, still laughing.

"We were at my birthday party..." Apollo started. As he spoke, though, Michael sank further into William's arms. The little boy rested his head on William's shoulder broad. He wrapped his arms around Mike, trying to keep the little one secure. It was obvious that Michael was exhausted. And William was right--a few minutes later, the young boy was sleeping silently in his arms. 

"He's so sweet," Apollo mused after he finished his story, his gaze fixed on Michael. "I'm going to  be so mad if Terrance starts being a jerk to him like he was to me. He's so young. He doesn't deserve to have some narcissistic teenager treat him like he's Satan for something that wasn't even his fault. He doesn't deserve anything that happened to him, in the first place!"

William exhaled a long, shallow breath. "Tell me about it. Henry keeps telling me that he's 'wise beyond his years.' It's not a bad thing to be wise, but... you don't jain gain wisdom randomly. You have to earn it. Being wise comes from past experience."

"And with the wisdom he has, you're saying that he shouldn't have experienced the things he has," he finished, a frown digging into his rosy cheeks. 

William nodded. He looked at his small, youthful son. Poor kid, he thought.

"I'm going to put him to bed," William said quietly as he stood up. He shifted his arms so Michael barely moved so he wouldn't wake up. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"'Kay," Apollo said, back to his cheery self. William smiled--Apollo reminded him so much of Henry, the way they both were so happy and optimistic, no matter what happened to them.