087: William Afton

Painstakingly slow weeks passed. But soon the weeks turned into a month. Then another month. And another. And another. By the time almost five months passed, Michael was finally allowed to go home. He'd been home for about three weeks now and he was almost completely healed. The only thing that he couldn't do yet was move the bottom half of his right leg, so it was constantly dragging behind him when he tried to walk. But it didn't really matter. His doctors were mainly just surprised at the fact that Michael regained any movement, in general. With the injury he had sustained, he should've been completely paralyzed--especially because the majority of his frontal lobe was missing. And the fact that the only current paralyzation was in his leg, and not even all of it? It was a medical miracle!

Since Michael was home now, his siblings seemed to be behaving more. Elizabeth had always struggled with listening and paying attention to anything, but it seemed to get worse as soon as Michael was gone. And Evan was more stubborn and could no longer keep his emotions in check. When Michael returned, though, all of the issues seemed to stop. Not to mention how happy they were to finally have him home.

At the moment, William was carefully watching as Michael hobbled around Fazbear's, preparing the tables for when the restaurant opened in just under an hour. William had repeatedly told him that he didn't need to help. But he insisted, claiming that he was bored when he just sat around and did nothing all day long. He also included the fact that he couldn't feel the bottom half of his leg, so it didn't hurt him to use it in the odd way he did to get around. Even with stubbornness, William managed to refuse, but it wasn't long until Michael started to beg. So, after he had finally convinced William to say, "Yes," he somehow managed to find himself a job as a waiter for the three tables closest to the kitchen entrance.

Suddenly, someone tapped William's shoulder, making him flinch. He turned to see Henry standing beside him with a surprised, amused smile. "You're actually going to let him work?" Henry asked, laughter filling his words.

William sighed, then shrugged. "Somehow, yes. I want to stop him and sit him down and demand he read a book or something, but I can't let him be bored all day. Besides, he won't be doing a whole lot with the tables I gave him."

"Which ones did you give him?"

"The three by the kitchen entrance."

"Hey, now there won't be any confusion about who has them! Mark and Frederick are always bickering over them and it's so annoying." Henry laughed. "But then again, they fight over everything."

William started to laugh. "No kidding! If it weren't for Simon, those two would've killed each other years ago."

Henry burst out into a fit of laughter.

"Speaking of them," he continued, "where are they? I thought that the secondary schoolers were out today because their floor is being renovated."

Henry shrugged. "No clue. I'll call the Johnsons' house." Then he left to go to his office.

Twenty minutes later, all three boys came bursting through the front doors. Mark, Simon, and Frederick's voices echoed through the building as Simon tried to mediate between Mark and Frederick's unnecessary bickering.

"Good morning, boys," Henry greeted from beside William. "How are you three doing today?"

"We're doing well," Simon said politely as he put his hand over Frederick's mouth since the boy had an odd habit of acting like he was in the military when he was at work--probably because his father and grandfather used to be in the military. "How are you two?"

William walked away as Henry and the three boys started a conversation of small talk. He went over to Michael, tapping the distracted boy's shoulder to get his attention.

Michael flinched and turned to look at William. "Do you need something?"

"Follow me," William demanded gently. "It's time for you to meet your coworkers."

Michael nodded his head and followed William when he led his son to Henry, Mark, Frederick, and Simon.

"Boys, this is your new coworker. Michael, these are Mark, Frederick, and Simon," William said as he pointed to each of the boys. "Boys, this is Michael. He'll be taking the kitchen tables, all right? So no more bickering over who has them each week. They'll be Michael's from here on out."

"It's pleasant to meet you, Michael," Mark said, grinning.

William watched closely as Michael nodded quickly his head in half-hearted acknowledgment and walked off to the table he was previously at. As soon as he finished preparing that table, he headed off to complete more.

William turned to face the boys, who were all watching Michael with curiosity.

"He's not much of a talker," William explained, a slight chuckle filling his words.

"I heard that!" Michael shouted.

The three boys laughed, as did William and Henry.

"It's not like I'm wrong!" William shouted back.

Michael gave a soft smile before he went back to work.

"Now go get in your uniforms, please," Henry demanded the boys. "Then get to work."

"Yes, sir," Frederick said, then walked off, motioning for his friends to follow him.

William went back to watching Michael work. The kid was doing an excellent job, even with a half-paralyzed leg. He was fast and efficient. Nothing seemed to distract him, either--not even the boys' obnoxiousness when they were finished getting in uniform and surrounded him so they could banter with him.

Whatever they were saying to him, though, he didn't look very happy about it.

~ ~ ~

William knocked on the break room door, trying to get his son's attention. "Michael, we have to go pick up your brother and sister," he shouted.

No answer.

"Michael, let's go! We're going to be late!"

Still no answer.

He sighed and opened the door, looking around the room.

Michael wasn't there.

"Michael?" he shouted worriedly. "Michael, where are you?"

"I'm right here," Michael's voice came from behind.

William immediately turned around, surprised to see his son standing behind him, already out of his uniform.

"I was getting out of my uniform in the bathroom," Michael told him.

"Why the bathroom?"

"That's unimportant."

"Ooooooo-kay," he mumbled, raising an eyebrow in suspicion. "Anyway, let's go."