050: William Afton

William sat in his chair, half asleep as he fiddled with the button closest to his neck on his button-up. He took a sip of the watery coffee they served at Jamison's wake. Jamison was his stepfather. He had never cared for Jamison that much. He was a cruel man who insisted he was right, even when he was wrong. Even though he hated his stepfather, he thought he should at least pay his respects. He just hoped that--

"William! What a pleasant surprise," a voice he deeply despised exclaimed happily. "Gosh, you look exhausted. Have you been sleeping? That doesn't matter. Anyway, would you care for one of my biscuits? They're espresso chip--I know how you love your coffee."

"Hello, Mother," William grumbled. He took another long swig of his coffee.

His mother, Vivianna, took the seat next to him. "Have you gotten a family yet?" she asked, just as she always did when she was with him. "Or are you still hopelessly"--she gagged after she trailed off--"you know what."

William rolled his eyes and scowled at his mother. "Actually, Mother, I do have a family now."

Her eyes widened with surprise and pleasure. She gave a wide grin, finally happy with her son. But that happiness wasn't going to last. "Really? Well, where are they?" she asked, scanning the room. "I'd love to meet them!"

"They're not here. Henry's staying with them at home. They've both got classes."

"A wife in university? Good for you, William."

"No."

"Then what kind of classes does she have?"

"I don't have a wife."

She gasped, offended and gobsmacked. "Then how do you have a family? That makes no sense!"

"I'm Lilly's son's godfather. And I adopted a boy a few years ago."

"Well, at least you have kids to distract you from your disturbing ways of love. What's the boy's name? How old is he? What is he like?"

William stood up and plucked his blazer jacket off the back of his chair. "You needn't know any of that. I must go now. I have plans." He slipped on the jacket over his shirt and buttoned it shut. "I'll see you tomorrow for the funeral service."

Honestly, his plans consisted of bringing a bouquet to his brother's grave before he went back to the motel and called home.

"Oh. Well, all right. It was great seeing you, William. I'll see you tomorrow," Vivianna said quietly. She stood up and extended her arms to him a hug. He immediately backed away, scowling at her. She looked at him with a slight expression of emotional pain as she dropped her arms to her side, fiddling with the fabric of her dress's skirt. "Well, goodbye."

~ ~ ~

William sat on the bed, the phone the motel provided close to his ear. After four rings, it stopped. Michael's voice answered shyly, "Afton home, this is Michael."

"Hey, Mike, how are you?" William asked. He smiled even though Michael couldn't see him.

"Oh! William! This is unexpected. Hi! I'm... Uh, I'm doing well. How are you?" Michael asked, laughing as he spoke.

"I'm doing okay, thanks."

"Michael, who're you talking to?" Terrance shouted on the other line.

Michael laughed again. "It's William," he answered.

"Are you almost done? I want to talk to him." 

"Mmhmm." There was the sound of the phone being jostled. "Bye, William," he called into the phone before Terrance shooed him away.

William chuckled. "Hey, Terr, how are you?"

"I'm fine, but..." Terrance's voice trailed off and he sighed. "Um... What... What did Mike tell you when you asked him that?"

He contemplated the odd question for a moment. "He said he was doing well. Why do you ask?"

His nephew sighed. "I was afraid he'd say that."

He sat up straighter. "What happened? Is he okay?"

Another sigh. "We were right. About him being bullied, I mean. I went to the playground during study hall to check in on him and found him being beaten by the kids in his class! Do you remember how he'll only wear jackets, long sleeves, and pants nowadays? He's covered with bruises and cuts underneath all of it." Yet another sigh. "When I went to take him to the nurse, a bunch of kids and teachers gathered around him, trying to figure out what happened. He had a panic attack, thinking the kidnapper would be in the crowd."

"Shit," he muttered as he dragged his free hand down his face. "I'm such a terrible parent. I can barely get him to tell me what's bothering him!" His voice cracked near the end of his sentence. He cleared his throat before he continued. "I didn't even notice that he felt ignored because I'm always busy at Fazbear's, helping you with your homework, and doing paperwork for the restaurants. And I'm thinking about adopting another kid? Gosh, I'm such a bad father." 

"You're not a bad father, Uncle. You're doing your best. Considering how you were dropped with me one minute, then adopted Michael the next, you're doing great. That's a lot to take on all at once. You're handling it much better than most would."

"Thanks, Terr," he said, a small smile creeping onto his face. "I needed that."