066: William Afton

The news that Terrance died during the surgery wasn't very surprising. It hurt, but it wasn't surprising. The boy had suffered a lethal shot to the head. William hadn't had much hope for his survival. The chance of him living had been slim to none.

Terrance had died around three AM. After the doctors left him alone, William used one of the payphones at the hospital to call home. Henry answered the phone and said that he would be there soon to bring William home.

About twenty minutes later, Henry arrived at the hospital with Evan and Michael. The minute he parked the car, Henry burst out of it and gave William a huge hug, trying to comfort him. When Henry backed away, he helped Evan get out of the car since Michael was struggling to get the little boy out of the car seat. As soon as Henry put Evan on the ground, the little boy practically sprinted over to William and hugged his leg. He refused to let go for at least five minutes.

Unlike everybody else, Michael didn't give William a hug. He just awkwardly hovered by the car door, watching William with cautious eyes as he fidgeted and squirmed. When William suggested he come to get a hug, he almost immediately backed away and looked elsewhere, his red and puffy eyes clouded with guilt.

Once Evan finally let go of William's leg, the four of them all went back to the car. But before William could get into the passenger's seat, Henry held him back.

"Is something wrong, Henry?" William asked, sort of worried.

Henry waited until Michael's car door was closed before he quietly demanded, "You need to talk to Michael when we get back to your house." He let go of William's wrist. "Did you see how he just avoided you?"

William hesitantly nodded his head. "Yes, I saw that. But I have a ton of crap to do now for the restaurant and a funeral for Terrance. He'll have to wait a bit before I can talk to him."

Henry frowned as he shook his head. "That's not a good idea, Will. You've got to listen to me. I fear he may do something stupid if you don't talk to him soon."

"I'll try to talk to him soon, okay? Not this morning because we all need to go to bed. But I'll try to talk to him soon."

~ ~ ~

Terrance's funeral took place four days after his death. Nothing important happened. The only eventful thing that happened was when they ran out of lemonade at the lunch service much faster than anyone had expected.

But there was one thing that was eventful within the reins of the immediate family.

Michael's behavior was all out of proportion. He barely talked, even when Noah and his family came to pay their respects. He didn't even touch the food--not even his favorite meal there. He wouldn't go anywhere near William, either. The one time that he did, he was nervous and shaky and could barely the words out of his mouth.

Though his odd behavior may have to do with the fact that William hadn't talked to him yet. So, whatever needed to be discussed but hadn't been was most absolutely the cause for Michael's confusing behavior.

At the moment. William was at his office desk, trying to out the remaining paperwork from Terrance's funeral. But he couldn't stay focused. His mind continuously wandered back to what Henry had said.

You've got to listen to me. I fear he may do something stupid if you don't talk to him soon.

What was that supposed to mean? Was Michael okay? Did something happen that William didn't know about?

Suddenly, somebody knocked on his office door, startling him out of his thoughts. He looked to the door, surprised to see Henry.

"William, you have to talk to Michael," he said, his voice filled with fear and worry. "Right now. He locked himself in his room and he won't listen to me."

"Uh oh," William mumbled as he set his pen down. With a heavy sigh, he stood up and made his way upstairs. He stood in front of Michael's bedroom door and knocked on it. "Michael?" he called. "Michael, it's William. I need to talk to you."

"Go away!" Michael shouted. "I don't want to talk to anyone!"

"No one said that you had to. But I need to talk to you. Would you let me in please?"

William stood there for a few moments, standing awkwardly in silence until the door suddenly clicked unlocked. Michael hesitantly opened the door. He didn't so much as give William a single glance before he stepped back to let William in.

William slowly stepped inside and gave his son a sad smile. "Thanks for letting me in," he said quietly, a slight chuckle in his voice. "I didn't think that you'd listen."

Michael shrugged halfheartedly and walked away, then took a place on the floor in front of his bed. He pulled his knees up to his chest and rested his head on his knees. His eyes were fixated on the large stain on the floor, left there from Terrance's blood. Tears started to form in his eyes and he quickly lifted his hand to wipe them away.

William frowned as he watched his son sitting there, sulking in his misery. He hated how miserable Michael looked. He had never realized how hard Michael was taking on Terrance's death until now.

"I know that you're watching me," Michael said, not looking away from the stain.

William looked elsewhere. "Sorry," he mumbled, a slight chuckle in his voice. He stepped further into the room, then walked over to the bed and took a seat next to Michael. "I'm so sorry that this happened, Michael. It's very... unfortunate that Terrance is gone now. But I need you to promise me something."

"And what's that?" Michael asked hesitantly.

"I need you to promise me that you won't blame yourself for Terrance's death."

"I can't promise that."

"Why not?" William asked quietly, worried about his son.

He hesitated as a few tears slipped down his cheeks. "Because... B-Because I'm the one who shot him," he admitted, his voice just barely louder than a whisper. He turned his head away from William as his whole body tensed up. He looked like he was trying to ready himself for anything William could possibly say or do.

"I know."