Chapter 24

Dimitri's POV

I woke up as the sun was barely rising through the clouds. Melanie was lightly sleeping on top of my chest, I could feel her soft breaths on my bare chest. She was so beautiful when she slept. It felt as if I was starting a new life with her with the new year. She had confessed what she felt and here she was in my arms.

I looked at the clock on my nightstand. 6:07. A bright object caught my eye on the nightstand. It was Melanie's rings. I extended my arm and grabbed the rings she had put in my hand last night. Just the thought of her leaving me made my chest throb in pain. I looked down at her again and gently grabbed her left hand. Without trying to wake her up I placed the rings on her ring finger where they should be. I kissed her head and got up quietly to take a shower. As I got up my phone vibrated signaling a call, I quickly grabbed it answering it as I turned to see if it had woken up Melanie. She stirred a little before turning on her side and going back to sleep. I quickly put on some clothes and in a flash was in my office with my vampire speed.

"What is it father?"

"Well Happy New Year to you too son," my father greeted in a grim tone.

"I'm sorry I just woke up."

"Well I need you at the office now."

"Why? It's New Year's for god's sake."

"Dimitri, I'm flying out to Europe with Elizabeth. I'm have some business to take care of and she has a conference. I'm going to be gone for a week, so I need you in charge. I had scheduled a meeting to discuss the Lombardi case. We need them gone in three days, and all their money transferred into our Swiss account."

I sighed, "Alright, I'll be there."

"The meeting's at 9, don't be late."

"I won't."

The line went dead. I hung up and proceeded to go take a shower. As much as I hated to leave Melanie, I had to oblige.

I returned to the room and found Melanie awake. She was looking through the glass windows wearing my white dress shirt from last night and from what I could tell her bra and underwear. I stood behind her hugging her waist.

"I think you look better in my shirt than me," I teased.

She turned around blushing.

"I always wondered what it would feel like to wear one of your shirts."

"Everything that's mine is yours," I said taking one of her hands and placing it against my chest, so she could feel my heart pounding. She blushed even more. I could almost feel the heat radiating off her body. I kissed both her hands pulling her into a hug. After standing there for a few moments I sighed pulling back to look into her eyes.

"What is it?" She asked concerned.

"I have to go to the company, my father's flying to Europe with Elizabeth, so I'm going to have to be in charge for a couple days."

Her eyes lowered, and she stayed silent.

"I know you don't want me working, but you have to understand-"

"I know," she interjected, " this is your family's business and one day you'll have to take over. I don't think I'll ever like it, but I do understand."

I kissed her forehead, "Thank you" then proceeded leaving trails of kisses down the side of her face, her neck, and finally the Corner of her mouth. I felt her smile against my lips as she placed a hand against my chest and the other one behind my neck bringing my face down to hers. We gazed into each others eyes before I claimed her mouth.