Chapter 31

A Week Later

Melanie's POV

I sat in the parlor finishing some sketches for Annabelle's wedding. I had the sample dress ready for her at the boutique which we would be visiting today. Alexa had returned to Paris leaving me in charge of the boutique. After our event last week we had hundreds of orders from the most elite of society. I closed my sketch book just as the door bell rang. I got up to open the door as I was just in the next room. Lily, one of the new maids, ran to the door just as I approached it.

"It's alright Lily, I'll get it."

She nodded returning to her duties. I opened the door to a person holding a giant bouquet of different assorted flowers of many colors.

"Good morning," said a voice who's owner peeped around the giant bouquet, so I could see their face.

"Adrian," I said surprised, "what are you doing here?"

"I heard that you're going to be a mom, so I wanted to bring you a present."

"You really shouldn't have," I said stepping to the side letting him enter.

"It's nothing. Where do you want these?"

"Umm. You can place them right here on the table."

He set them down on the table by the door.

"I'll have one of the butlers take them to my room later. They're beautiful thank you." I said facing him after touching on of the petals. I didn't expect him to be so close."

"Again it was nothing," he replied taking my hand and placing a kiss. It made me feel uneasy but thankfully Jake came down the stairs.

"Jake," I smiled removing my hand from Adrian's grasp. Jake approached me pulling me to his side grabbing my waist with one arm and giving my forehead a kiss.

"Morning, love. Who do we have here?"

"This is Adrian. I met a few parties. He brought some flowers to congratulate me for our babies."

"Babies?" Adrian said truly flabbergasted at what I had said.

"We're having twins," Jake informed him placing a protective hand on my belly. Adrian stared at it with a glint of anger in his eyes before a weary smile formed on his lips.

"Well, that just means double the congratulations then," he said offering Jake his hand. Jake shook his hand with a firm grip as I could tell both were trying to have the firmer grip by the way their faces grew red.

"Jake, are you heading to work?"

They released their grip regaining the color back in their cheeks.

"I was. Did you want me to stay longer?" He asked looking at Adrian.

"No, I'll be fine. You should get going before you're late."

"I can always spare a few more minutes for you," he said giving me a wink.

I laughed taking his face in my hands, "Go, before I regret it."

He gave me a lingering kiss which I knew he was only doing because Adrian was here.

"I'll see you three tonight," he gave me another kiss this time on the cheek.

"Have a great day."

Adrian cleared his throat clearly trying to remind us he was still here. I blushed while Jake simply gave him a nod grabbing his suitcase from Lily's hands who had arrived a few seconds ago.