A Kiss In The Fire

Despite having a family and a home, she had nowhere to go. Despite having millions in her account, she didn't dare to use it in fear of being tracked by him. The first two days she spent in a motel but had to move to the street eventually when she ran out of cash. She tried to look for a job but her disability disqualified her for most of them. So she started living her days on street. It was awful but better than living under chains. She had managed to eke out a bare existence on whatever she got by sketching for the passersby. She would sketch their pictures. A skill that Andrei had taught her. Once again, in a way, Andrei was helping her through this. Not a single night passed by when she didn't miss him and cried herself to sleep. She would have never had to face his monster of a brother if he was alive. She would have never had to be his victim. The fragmented memories of that night hogged her brain causing a chilly shudder to course down her spine. What was her fault? He took her innocence and behaved like a beast.    

There was no point reporting him. Entire France was under Levigne's thumb. Andy had pointed this out so many times in their casual conversations. 

She spent her night in an abandoned building where many homeless people like her spent their night. Someone also had donated her a worn-out trench coat that she used as a blanket in the night. 

This is what her life had become. 

A week had passed by like this. Fortunately, she didn't get caught, and unfortunately, she was still clueless about her future. Would she always be on the street like this? The thought terrified her. 

The night had fallen. She was starving as today she only had breakfast. Today she had collected enough money to buy herself a decent dinner. She had to learn to save them.   

She reached the shop from where she was buying her dinner for the last four days. She gestured for him to give her the usual. A burger and banana shake. It would keep her full till the morning. 

The man was packing her food when her gaze lifted and met the TV where the news was running. 

"Four days have passed but yet no extortion call has been made to the victim's family. It is said that the 14-year-old boy, Louis, disappeared without a trace four days ago when he was going to his school. No clue has been received till now. A body has been found this morning by the police and it..." 

Inessa's eyes turned round with shock when the victim's face flashed on the screen. It was Louis. Her brother. Why is his picture on the news?

Horror struck her in full force when she finally processed everything. Louis disappeared. He got kidnapped? A body? Anxiety gripped her and her eyes welled up as the worst possibilities started to plague her mind. What happened to him? She had to go back. She had to. Not bothering to take her dinner, she turned and headed towards the bus stop in urgent strides. 

The tears continued to wash down her eyes and her legs were trembling. Louis was the only person who loved her despite her shortcomings. He used to call her his saving grace as she always saved him from troubles. This time she couldn't. 

Inessa stopped a cab and gave him all the money she had. For now, her priority was to get back to her village.  

The whole journey she sobbed like a child. What the hell was happening? It was the lowest point of her life. First, her best friend died, then all the blame fell on her, Sylvia betrayed her, her innocence was taken away from someone who had once promised to protect her and now her brother was in trouble.

Hours went by and she finally entered her village when at daybreak. Inessa didn't have enough money to pay the driver but she couldn't care less at that moment.