Innocence

They left for the city early in the morning. Inessa was still sore from the last night. His intensity was frightening. It was clear he wanted to keep her for himself, not to love but to own. When would this end? She had to be one of the unluckiest people in this world.

Danzel wasn't able to put his mind off the fact that she was a virgin. Why was she still a virgin? Why did she not get involved with Fransico if they were having an affair? And why didn't she consummate her marriage with his brother?

He glanced at her through the rearview mirror. She was leaning against the door, away from him. The sun peeking through the window was beaming brightly on her bronze hair, turning them into gold. Her brown orbs were sparkling hazel, as dazzling as the sun itself. He earnestly caressed her skin with his gaze, recalling how smooth and delicate it had felt under his fingertips. He felt a delicious shiver dancing down his spine.   

Why did he not fight hard enough for her? She would have been his if he had not agreed to his dad back then. Unlike his father, he didn't care if she was a mute. She had spoken to his heart and it had become hers, from that very moment. He couldn't help but wonder what could have been if he was the one she was married to. 

One thing he was sure of was that he would have married and impregnated her the very day she had turned 18. He couldn't have had waited a minute longer to let the world know that she was off-limits, that she belonged to him, now and forever. He was sure, they also would have been parenting at least three kids, right now, with one in her womb. He dreamed of having a big family with her.

Thinking about her was forbidden for him but now nothing mattered. He already had sinned, he had gone way too far and there was no turning back now. He didn't want to turn back.    

Feeling his gaze on her, she turned towards him to confirm, and indeed he was staring at her while driving. She narrowed her eyes at him, bringing him back to the present. He blinked and pulled his gaze back to the road.                        

Inessa let out a sigh and closed her eyes in exhaustion. 

A couple minutes later, her eyes snapped open when she heard a gunshot. horrified, she looked at Danzel who already was glaring at the rearview mirror with a tight expression. Her eyes turned wide when she saw what he was looking at. A car was tailing them, one of the men had his hand hanging out of the window. He was holding a gun. Inessa had turned paler now.  

Another shot rang in the air followed by a swooshing sound. Inessa froze to stone when she saw the bullet spinning past her and shooting out through the windscreen. Instant later, the windscreen shattered like a house of cards while making a dreadful noise. She leaned back and shielded her face with her hands.   

"Get down," Danzel instructed Inessa while grabbing his gun from the compartment. She slid down the seat to hide as Danzel rolled down the window and half turned to fight the men. One against many. Inessa closed her eyes and ears with her finger. She hated violence. 

He had just one pistol which wasn't enough to kill them all. With his one hand on the steering wheel, dodging the bullet, he aimed his pistol at the vehicle's tires. He managed to take down two men but there was still a good number. After several attempts, he finally, succeeded in bursting the tires. The machine came to a screeching halt. Having a moment in hand, he glanced back at Inessa to check on her but that turned out to be a big mistake as a burning bullet struck his biceps. He let out a grunt but didn't lose his hold on the gun. A new wave of fury burst inside him and with the intention to finish them off, he raised his gun and started firing blindly.

Once his gun was empty, he moved back inside the car and sped up, leaving the attackers behind. 

The blood was spilling down his wound, staining his sleeves but there was not a trace of pain on his face only a scowl.