Marriage Proposal

A tear rolled down Anastasia's eyes as she watched the news. The channel was playing the footage of Danzel carrying a woman out of an exhibition. The face of the woman wasn't visible due to the darkness but she already knew who she was.  

"We lost him too," she sniffled lowly. She had lost both her sons. Her hatred for Inessa knew no bounds. In all honestly, he had no problem with the girl but he didn't want her son to marry that mute. She would have never agreed to this marriage if not for her husband's insistence. That stupid piece of land costed Andrei his life. 

And now Danzel. The centerpiece of their family. 

"Rudolph, we lost him too," Anastasia turned to Rudolph and said with tears running down her eyes. 

Rudolph didn't respond just continued to stare fixedly at the TV.

.......

"We will have to run some tests first only then I can say anything," the doctor flashed Inessa an assuring smile. 

Inessa licked her lips and looked over at Danzel who was listening to the doctor attentively. 

"What are the chances that she can speak?" Danzel leaned forward and asked curiously. 

"It depends on the cause. Some are curable but some, I am afraid, are not," the doctor turned her attention to Danzel and answered in a professional tone. 

Danzel gave a thoughtful nod.  

"We can do tests tomorrow if it is fine with your schedules," the doctor looked at both of them for their response. 

"Yes. Tomorrow will be fine," he said and took to his feet. 

He turned to Inessa and offer her his hand. She looked at his hand in confusion before glancing up at him. He was looking at her with anticipation. She hesitated a moment before taking his hand and standing up. 

Before she could pull away, he quickly intertwined their fingers. He gave the doctor a good-natured smile and thanked her. The doctor also stood up as he was the biggest benefactor of the hospital. She bowed and returned his smile with a grin of her own. 

"It's always a pleasure, Mr. Lavigne," the specialist stated. 

Danzel gave her a nod and turned to leave. He led Inessa out. 

"What are you thinking?" he asked her as he reversed his car. Danzel had noticed Inessa was lost in her thoughts since their meeting with the doctor. He was curious to know what was going on in her mind. What was she thinking? Was she excited or nervous?

He didn't care if she had a voice or not. Despite her disability, she was perfect for him. The most desirable woman on earth. It was her dream to be able to speak one day. And now it was his responsibility to make her dream come true. Her every wish, every dream was his responsibility now. A responsibility he was more than happy to fulfill. He didn't care about anyone or anything as long as he had her. He also had a dream. His dream was to hear his name from her sweet mouth. How angelic would she sound? He would make her scream his name over and over again every night.   

He wished they had started sooner. He wished he hadn't wasted 16 years. He wouldn't have let any harm touch her. He wouldn't have let any man's shadow fall on her, much less hurt her. How much she must have hurt all these years. 

She shook her head and continued to stare out the window. His expression soured. Her constant cold shoulder was getting on his nerves. He had spent sixteen years pining over her and she..she just didn't care about him. He knew he didn't deserve it but he wanted her attention, her affection, every damn thing she had to offer. Swiveling the steering, he sped the vehicle.