Another Year, Gone

(Y/N) hadn't ever been to a Hogwarts feast as grand as the one at the end of her second year. Students filled up the great hall, chattering eagerly to each other about what they'd heard. Some were still in their pajamas, as it was still quite late when Dumbledore made the announcement, but no one seemed to care.

Seamus and Dean rushed to get a seat with (Y/N) and, of course, wanted a full story of what transpired in the Chamber. Lavender, Parvati, and Padma tried to eavesdrop, but they weren't as subtle as they thought, for they were uncharacteristically quiet until they broke
to whisper to one another after (Y/N) told them a very brief rendition of events.

Justin Finch-Fletchley was the first of the petrified students to return and he went first thing to Harry, shaking his hand fervently and apologizing profusely. (Y/N) was quite pleased to see his change of heart, and how his friends crowded behind him, looking quite sheepish. It took everything in her to not be snarky when they thanked her; Ron seemed to be fighting the same battle.

As soon as Justin and his friends left to find their seats, Neville pointed over countless heads to the Great Hall doors. "Look! It's Hermione!"

(Y/N) propper herself up on her knees to see, and sure enough, Hermione was racing down the aisle, straight to (Y/N), Harry, and Ron. (Y/N) hurried out of her seat and before either of the boys could get to their feet, she was running right into Hermione's open arms.

"You're alright!" (Y/N) said happily. "Oh, I've missed you so much!"

"I missed you!" said Hermione. "How's Harry and Ron? They didn't give you too much trouble, did they?"

"Oi!" Ron looked rather displeased. "What makes you think we'd do anything to her?"

"Because you two give me trouble every day," Hermione teased, moving to hug Harry.

When she went to hug Ron, the two froze for an awkward moment. Ron went for a handshake instead. "Um," he cleared his throat. "W-welcome back, Hermione."

"It's good to be back," she beamed. "Congratulations! I can't believe you solved it!"

"Well, we had loads of help from you," said Harry. "We couldn't have done with without you."

Hermione's eyes sparkled with gratitude. "Thanks,"

"Well, come on," said (Y/N), tugging on Hermione's arm. "I have so many questions. How did you figure out about the pipes?"

But just as they sat down, McGonagall tapped her chalice. "Could I have your attention please?"

Everyone quieted down at once, turning their gaze to the table at the front of the room. Dumbledore stood with a delighted smile on his face. "Before we begin the feast, let us have a round of applause for Professor Sprout and Madam Pomfrey, whose Mandrake juice has been so successfully administered to all who had been Petrified."

Professor Sprout looked quite flustered, but also quite pleased, to be recognized in front of the entire school. Madam Pomfrey sat up tall, a blithe smile on her lips as the Great Hall filled with cheers.

"Also," Dumbledore continued. "In light of the recent events, as a school treat, all exams have been canceled."

Dean and Seamus cupped their hands around their mouths, cheering loud enough to rival Fred and George further down the table. (Y/N) was delighted with the news, as well, but Hermione looked incredibly disappointed.

As the applause died down, the Great Hall doors opened again, and in marched a very tall, hefty man. (Y/N) was absolutely overjoyed. In all her excitement, she gave little attention to the silent hall and exclaimed, "Hagrid!" She leaned out into the aisle just so he'd know where she and her friends were.