A Grim Farewell

It was another slow day in Divination.

Trelawney had instructed the class to gaze into their crystal balls to find their future. (Y/N) naturally thought the task was incredibly dull. Instead, she asked Dean if he would help her make a card for Hagrid. Buckbeak was still set to be executed later that day, despite the letters (Y/N)'d written to beg Lucius to remove all charges. Not to anyone's surprise, her letters were ignored, save for one – to which Lucius told (Y/N) to let it go because it's only a Hippogriff and she shouldn't bother worrying about something so stupid. She couldn't bring herself to write another letter after that.

Still, she wanted to help the best she could. And if she couldn't stop Buckbeak from being killed, the least she could do was try and comfort Hagrid.

Dean thought it was a brilliant idea and brought out a fresh piece of parchment at once to begin his work.

"D'you think you can try and draw Hagrid, too?" she asked, peering over the crystal ball to watch him draw.

"Didn't you say you needed it by tonight?" said Dean, exasperated.

"Yeah." She leaned back in her chair. "But you're quick at drawing. And I think it'd be good if they were together on it. Hagrid would like it. And you know how upset he's been lately."

In their last class with Hagrid, they learned nothing. He could barely get a word out through all his sniffles. He was heartbroken.

It was all it took to convince Dean. "Alright," he said. "Just don't add anything else or I won't be able to finish it in time."

It was not fifteen minutes later that he was making the last touches to his sketch. Though, he told her he wouldn't be able to color anything in until after Care of Magical Creatures; he'd left his colored pencils in his dormitory.

It may have been for the best anyway, for Trelawney stepped up to their table just as Dean safely tucked the drawing into his bag. Her big eyes peered at the pair of them expectantly and she motioned her thin hands toward the crystal ball in the center of the table.

"Well," said Trelawney dreamily. "What lies in the future ahead?"

(Y/N) looked at the crystal ball and saw nothing but a swirl of white. "Well, it's sort of foggy," she said. Dean snickered. Trelawney nodded encouragingly.

"Go on," she urged.

She wished she hadn't said anything. Still, (Y/N) leaned forward and squinted her eyes so she'd think she was looking hard. Trelawney seemed pleased.

"I can't be sure," (Y/N) began. "Well, it kind of looks like..." She tried to remember any sort of bad omen they'd come across before, but all she could think of was the Grim, and she knew better than to say she saw that. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "An hourglass!"

"An hourglass?" Trelawney nearly choked. Her eyes had gotten larger than usual.

(Y/N) nodded. "I think so. Why?"

"Oh, my dear child..." She clutched her bead necklaces and gazed at (Y/N) with watery eyes. "An hourglass is an unlucky omen indeed. You are in danger!"

"Oh no!" (Y/N) tried not to smile. "What sort of danger?"

Professor Trelawney reached out to touch (Y/N)'s hand but pulled away almost immediately with a gasp. Harry, Hermione, and Ron turned around from the next table over looking quite startled.

"Oh, grave danger!" she cried. (Y/N) saw Hermione roll her eyes. "If I may say, Miss (L/N), I believe it is best that you be wary! Keep close to professors and prefects tonight, dear."