Gilderoy Lockhart

Lockhart's class was already packed by the time they arrived. Much to Hermione's dismay, the majority of the front row seats were taken by the second year girls who'd gotten there before them. As she resolved to sit next to Susan Bones front and center, (Y/N) couldn't help feeling relieved. She'd agreed to sit next to Hermione without remembering her penchant for sitting in the front row. Now that she was sitting beside Susan, (Y/N) was free to sit wherever she pleased, which was the center row, right next to Seamus.

Harry and Ron took the table in front of them, which allowed for Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle to tease Ron about his Howler as they went to the back. He hid his burning face behind his stack of Lockhart's books as the rest of the class settled in.

"This is mad," Ron turned in his seat so he could face all three of his friends, dropping his voice so no one else can hear. "You heard Hermione on the way over here! I thought she was the only one, but they're all obsessed with him!"

"Well," (Y/N) said, taking out a roll of parchment and her new quill. "He's supposed to be a really great wizard."

"Surprised you're not up there, (Y/N)," Seamus teased.

She rolled her eyes. "Not in a lifetime," She said.

(Y/N) did not care what Lockhart did or who he saved; his appetite for discussing himself and his accomplishments did well to deter her from the same crush her classmates had. There was nothing wrong with being proud, (Y/N) thought, but even pride had to have its limits.

Finally, the door to Lockhart's office swung open and he came sauntering out. He wore golden robes that were much too flashy for teaching a class and shoes that clicked as he came down the stairs. "Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," His blue eyes expectantly skimmed the crowd of girls peering up at him. He cracked a grin. "Me,"

Seamus and (Y/N) exchanged a dubious look, Seamus looking just as wary as (Y/N) felt.

"Gilderoy Lockhart! Order of Merlin, Third Class, honorary member of the Dark Force Defense League!" He stopped beside the largest portrait of himself in the classroom, one that was very busy painting another portrait of Lockhart in a long golden wig. "And five times winner of Witch Weekly's Most Charming Smile award. But I don't talk about that! I didn't get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at her!"

(Y/N) wished he would get on with the lesson.

"I see you've all bought a complete set of my books-- well done." He nodded gratefully, as if the students had done so on their own accord. Lockhart had requested they buy the whole set before the start of term. "Now, I thought we'd start today with a little quiz! Nothing to worry about. Just to check to see how well you read them."

(Y/N) was relieved to know they were moving on, but she suddenly felt very nervous. She hadn't so much as cracked open one of Lockhart's autobiographies. She was just beginning to wonder if what little she learned from Quirrell the year prior would help, when Lockhart passed her a quiz, smiling brightly.

She looked over the questions.

What is Gilderoy Lockhart's favorite color?
What is Gilderoy Lockhart's secret ambition?
What, in your opinion, is Gilderoy Lockhart's greatest achievement to date?

And questions just like those all the way to forty. There wasn't a single one on spells or enchantments.

"Professor," (Y/N) turned around in her seat.

Lockhart's glittering blue eyes met with hers and he smiled. "Ah, yes, Miss (L/N). What can I help you with?"

"I was only wondering what this has to do with Defense Against the Dark Arts."