Dragons and Detentions

Later that same evening, (Y/N) and her three friends bundled up in their robes and made their way across the castle grounds. Hagrid's hut was a tiny wooden thing, sat at the very edge of the Forbidden Forest. It looked cozy enough, even though all of Hagrid's curtains were drawn shut. However, (Y/N) supposed anything would look cozy when providing safety from a dense, threatening wood.

She trudged up the steps, knocked twice, and waited anxiously on Hagrid's tiny porch for his answer. She wasn't sure what exactly they were looking for Hagrid to tell them, but Harry insisted that they visited him straightaway.

When Hagrid answered the door, he lumbered above them clad in an apron and oversized oven mitts. He didn't seem surprised to see them at all. "Oh, hello," He said. "Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today."

He began to close the door, and over the creak, the first years shouted, "We know about the Philosopher's Stone!"

Hagrid froze at once. "Oh,"

(Y/N) could see him struggle to think up a lie, but he was quick to give up and open the door to usher her inside.

His hut was warmed by the crackling fireplace tucked away in the corner. (Y/N) slipped off her cloak and took a seat on a wooden bench. Harry sat to the left of her, and to her right, Ron sat in between her and a great black dog. Hagrid went to tend to something roasting over the fire, but there was no scent of a meal hanging in the air. Even as (Y/N) curiously craned her neck to get a glimpse of what it might be, Hagrid snapped the lid back on top.

"We think Snape might be trying to steal it." Said Harry.

"Snape?" Repeated Hagrid. "Blimey, Harry, you're not still on about him, are you?"

"Hagrid," Harry sounded close to exasperated. "We know he's after the stone, we just don't know why!"

"Snape is one of the teachers hired to protect the stone. He's not about to steal it."

From across the tiny living room, Hermione met (Y/N)'s eyes and furrowed her brows. It seemed Hermione was just as confused as she was.

"What?" Questioned Harry.

"You heard. Right, come on now. I'm a bit preoccupied today."

"Wait," Said (Y/N). "You said 'one of the teachers.' Are there more?"

"Of course!" Hermione exclaimed. "There are other things defending the stone, aren't there? Protective spells, enchantments!"

"That's right. Waste of bloody time, if you ask me." As Hagrid went on, (Y/N) felt Ron scoot closer to her. He was trying his best to escape the dog trying to lick at his face. If she weren't so interested in what Hagrid had to say, (Y/N) might've laughed, but she simply paid it no mind. "Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Ain't a soul knows how except for me and Dumbledore." A pause, and then Hagrid cast his eyes on the floor, shuffling his weight anxiously. "I shouldn't have told you that. I should not have told you that."

(Y/N) didn't get a chance to ask any questions, for just when she was about to, there was a loud rattling sound from the cauldron over the fire. Hagrid hurried to reach inside, and of all things, pulled out a big, black dragon's egg.

"Hagrid, that isn't–?" But (Y/N) didn't finish. Instead, she hurried to get to her feet and follow Hagrid to his kitchen table. He gently set the egg down and her question had been answered.

"What exactly is that?" Asked Harry from beside (Y/N).

"That? It's..." Hagrid didn't seem like he was going to answer any time soon.