Talons and Tealeaves

On the first day of Divination, (Y/N) sat on her pouf across from Dean Thomas. He leaned over the table to hear (Y/N) as she spoke in a low voice about the things she'd heard about Professor Trelawney. At breakfast, Lee Jordan had told her she was an eccentric woman who hardly ever made sense. In the most excellent way he could, George had suggested that she was perhaps short of a few marbles. Fred said her class was good for a nap, but not much else.

(Y/N) supposed that made sense; Professor Trelawney was burning some sort of incense that made her eyes feel heavy. The large, floor-to-ceiling windows had their crimson curtains drawn shut, and over the lamps at each table, someone had draped scarves, casting the room in a cozy red glow. And, it was quite warm – almost too warm – thanks to the fire nestled in the corner where the incense burned.

When her professor spoke for the first time, her voice came from the shadows. "Welcome, my children," she'd said. (Y/N) and Dean stifled laughs.

Professor Trelawney was a thin and spindly woman. She wore glasses that magnified her eyes to be much larger than their natural size and a multicolored scarf that kept her frizzy hair out of her face. As she moved to her chair in the center of the room her countless beads and bangles clattered and the innumerous rings on her fingers caught the little light in the room to reflect in the students' eyes.

"In this room," she said. "You shall explore the noble art of Divination. In this room, you shall discover if you possess the Sight!" She stood and nearly knocked over the table beside her chair. (Y/N) covered her smile with her hand, trying hard to be polite, but she could hear Ron snickering behind her.

"Hello," she stepped around her table, smiling brightly. "I am Professor Trelawney. Together, we shall cast ourselves into the future! This term we shall be focusing on Tasseomancy, which is the art of reading tea leaves. So please, take the cup of the person sitting opposite you."

(Y/N) and Dean reached for each other's teacups, sharing an amused look.

"What do you see? The truth lies buried like a sentence deep within a book, waiting to be read. But first," She climbed up a step and placed her hands on either side of Seamus' head. Neither (Y/N) nor Dean could hide their laughs. Professor Trelawney did not seem to notice. "You must broaden your minds. First, you must look beyond!"

She pointed across the classroom at nothing.

"Yours looks like a baseball bat," Dean whispered. "Or... an hourglass? I can't really tell."

"Yours just looks like a lump of tea leaves to me." (Y/N) shrugged.

Trelawney turned and pointed a long, thin finger at Neville. "You boy! Is your grandmother quite well?"

"Uh," Neville nodded. "I-I think so,"

She pressed her lips together and gently tapped his shoulder. "I wouldn't be so sure of that." Reaching a hand toward Seamus, she said, "The cup! Give me the cup!" No sooner than it was in her hands did Trelawney look incredibly sad. "Oh... hmm..." she set it down and walked away without any sort of explanation.

"Alright, I found out what a bat means." Dean set his book on the table. "It's a busy productive phase. So I guess you're going to be productive soon?" He tilted his head. "No, wait. That's the animal. Hold on." He flipped through the pages. "Any luck with mine?"

"I think... it's..." (Y/N) turned the cup in her hands. "A strange sort of circle...?"

"Broaden your minds," said Professor Trelawney as she passed their table.

Dean smiled in amusement, once again plopping his heavy book on the table. "Here, your bat means there's a situation calling for immense caution. And if it's an hourglass..." He went to the page he'd marked with his thumb. "Imminent danger."