The Chamber of Secrets

Knowing for sure of Hagrid's innocence made it all the more difficult to go to classes while he sat in a cell in Azkaban. (Y/N) and her friends were at a loss; they'd exhausted every lead. Draco was a dead end and Riddle had caught the wrong person. The real Heir escaped then and whoever was behind the attacks that time around was looking to escape again.

They found some solace in visiting Hermione. Madam Pomfrey once told them there wasn't much good in talking to someone who was petrified, but (Y/N) didn't care. She missed Hermione. The Mandrakes couldn't be ready soon enough.

"Guys, look!" said Harry, rising from Hermione's bedside.

"What's that?"

He held a wrinkled piece of parchment in his hands, riddled with quick, but neat, writing. "This is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked!" He started toward the door without looking back. "Come on!"

"He just takes off," Ron said in disbelief.

(Y/N) hurried to follow. "Harry! Tell us, what's it say?"

He peered down the empty corridors before he began to read. "Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it-- This is it! The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a Basilisk. That's why I can hear it speak! It's a snake!"

Ron didn't look too convinced. "But if it kills by looking people in the eye, why is it no one's dead?"

"Maybe no one looked it in the eye," (Y/N) thought aloud. She felt her two friends look at her and she hurried to clarify. "Hermione had her mirror; if she knew the monster was a Basilisk, she probably used it to look where she was going. And Colin Creevey was looking through his camera wasn't he?"

"And what about Justin?" asked Ron.

"Er-- well..." (Y/N) tried to think. "Justin..."

"Justin probably saw it through Nearly Headless Nick!" Exclaimed Harry. "Nick got the full blast of it, but he's a ghost. He can't die twice."

"And Mrs. Norris?" he pressed again. "I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror!"

"No," said (Y/N). "But she had the water, didn't she? She must've seen its reflection."

Harry read over the paper again, still reeling. "Spiders flee before it -- it all fits!"

"But how's a basilisk been getting around? A dirty, great snake – someone would have seen it."

"Hermione's answered that, too," Harry said, pointing at the parchment.

"Pipes," (Y/N) read aloud. It was as though someone clicked on a light inside her brain "Of course, it's using the plumbing! And, if that's true, the entrance to the Chamber must be a bathroom! Remember what Aragog said about that girl who died in the bathroom fifty years ago? It must be–"

"Moaning Myrtle," exclaimed Ron. "Myrtle's bathroom has the entrance for the Chamber!"

"We should tell McGonagall! She'll know what to do!"

But just as (Y/N) said it, Professor McGonagall's voice echoed down the corridors, magically amplified. "All students are to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers to the second-floor corridor, immediately."

They didn't even need to glance at each other before all three of them took off towards the second-floor corridor. They got there just after the teachers arrived. (Y/N), Harry, and Ron tucked themselves behind a corner as they quietly tried to catch their breath.