A Second Chance

(Y/N) woke with a start and a shaky feeling.

At first, she didn't know where she was, but the scent of freshly crushed herbs and clean linens told her she was in the Hospital Wing. She sat up, pressing a hand to her aching head, and just barely caught a glimpse of the unconscious boy on the cot to her left when someone threw their arms around her.

"Thank goodness you're okay!" Hermione exclaimed. She would've tackled (Y/N) back onto the mattress if she hadn't braced herself, but Hermione didn't seem to notice. She was hugging her so fiercely that it almost hurt. "We didn't know what to think when we found you by the lake. Madam Pomfrey said you'd been attacked by Dementors!"

She let her go and reached for the plate of chocolate by her bedside, offering it to her. "Here, you need to eat."

"I'm fine," said (Y/N) dismissively, craning her neck to look at the cot beside her. "But Harry–"

"He'll be awake any minute now," Hermione assured her.

"And Ron?"

"Over here," came his voice.

Ron was sitting on a cot on the other side of the room, wearing a lopsided smile and a cast around his leg. He'd be bedridden for the next few hours, but he was okay.

Nearly able to relax, (Y/N) finally took a piece of chocolate. "But, where's Sirius?"

Hermione hesitated only briefly. "He's been captured. Madam Pomfrey says the dementors will be performing the kiss soon."

(Y/N) felt her blood run cold.

"No," She was out of bed before she realized she was moving. "We have to do something."

"Like what?" asked Ron, looking bewildered.

"Like tell Dumbledore he's innocent!" (Y/N) said, and it was louder than she expected it to be because Harry finally began to stir.

She went at once to the foot of his bed to tell him to hurry and get up, but he spoke before her. "I saw my dad!"

(Y/N) and Ron stared dumbly. Hermione gasped and got to her feet. "What?"

"He sent the dementors away," Harry said as he sat up. "I saw him across the lake!"

(Y/N) didn't know what Harry was talking about, but she didn't have time to figure it out. "Never mind!" she said. "Harry, Sirius is in trouble. They're giving him the Dementor's Kiss!"

His eyes widened. He was on his feet before (Y/N) could blink, reaching for his glasses. "You mean they're gonna kill him?"

"It's worse than that," said Hermione. "Much worse. It means they're going to suck out his soul."

(Y/N) felt a chill up her spine and started at once toward the door. She'd only taken a few steps when it opened and the very man she was going to find walked in.

"Professor Dumbledore!" she exclaimed. "You have to let Sirius go!"

Hermione and Harry were beside her in a second, nodding in agreement. "You've got the wrong man!" insisted Hermione.

"It's true, sir, he's innocent!" said Harry.

And from the other side of the room, Ron said, "It's Scabbers that did it!"

Everyone turned toward him.

"Scabbers?" said Dumbledore.

"He's my rat, sir!" Ron seemed to realize what he said hadn't made any sense, because he shook his head and tried again. "He's not really a rat. Uh, well, he was a rat - he was my brother Percy's rat. But then they gave him an owl, and I got–"