By the Fire

the way i wrote a chapter of a fanfic before my 7 page paper due tomorrow at midnight. wish me luck guys
- - -

Harry ran off shortly after they found him in the snow and didn't bother coming down for dinner. At first, (Y/N) was worried. After a while, she knew instead it was very smart of him.

She had hoped no one noticed her change in demeanor earlier that day and thought it would be left alone for a while. But she'd underestimated Hermione and Ron; they had noticed, and it was all they could think about. This was very unfortunate for (Y/N), who wanted desperately to pretend like she knew nothing.

She spent dinner avoiding their lingering gazes and ended up excusing herself halfway through to return to the dormitory. She was relieved when neither one of them followed.

Gryffindor Tower was quiet, as expected. (Y/N) nearly marched straight up the stairs to hide away until morning, but she noticed the boy sitting quietly by the fire. Harry hugged his knees to his chest as he absentmindedly watched the flames. She wondered if he even noticed her come in.

"Hey," she ventured.

Harry already looked annoyed when he turned, but his expression softened when he saw it was only her. "Hey," he said, and he looked away.

He hadn't expected her to stay. If she wanted to go up to bed, she could, and he would think no less of her for it. (Y/N) thought he may even be grateful that she left. And though all she'd wanted not five minutes before was to be alone, she asked, "Do you mind if I sit with you?"

She could've sworn she saw him relax. He scooted over so she'd have room.

She took her place beside him, and they let the silence swallow them whole. It was nice, not having to speak. They just stared ahead at ember and flame. (Y/N) thought she could stay there forever.

She saw Harry glance at her from the corner of her eye. He let his gaze abide before he turned away again. Then, he finally spoke.

"Earlier today," he began, "at the Three Broomsticks, McGonagall mentioned Black killed a woman. Her last name was (L/N), too." He looked at her again. She knew he was trying to gauge her reaction. "I didn't put it together right away, but was she...?"

"My mum," said (Y/N). "I think she was friends with Black, too."

Harry was quiet for what felt like a long time. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't know what to say," she admitted. "Besides, it's not a very cheerful conversation, is it?"

Harry managed a smile that didn't quite meet his eyes, but (Y/N) could tell it was genuine. She traced her finger along the carpet for something to do.

"Black is my godfather." Harry's fingers curled around his knees. "McGonagall said. And he plans to kill me, too; finish what he started."

"I won't let him," (Y/N) said without thinking.

"I know," said Harry. "I'm just worried. You don't think he'll try and hurt you, too, do you?"

(Y/N) shivered. She hadn't thought of it before. Though, if he meant to finish what he started with Lily and James, who was to say he wouldn't want to do the same with Catherine? After all, as far as (Y/N) knew, she was the last of the (L/N) name. Perhaps his escape was part of something much bigger.

Harry must have noticed he startled her because he hurried to say, "I wouldn't let him hurt you, either. And I know Hermione and Ron would protect you, too."

But Black was a much older and much more powerful wizard than the four of them. Still, it brought (Y/N) some solace to know her friends would be behind her.