Dobby Is Free!

After reuniting with Ron and Lockhart, who was still in a bad way, they were finally able to leave the Chamber behind them. They went first thing to Professor McGonagall's office, with poor Ginny still trembling and sniffing as she climbed up the steps.

When Harry opened McGonagall's door, they were met with a stunned silence and four pairs of eyes staring owlishly at them. Then, there was a scream of delight and Mrs. Weasley rose from her chair by the fireplace. "Ginny!"

She and Mr. Weasley squeezed their daughter in a bone-crushing hug. Not a moment later, (Y/N) found herself swept up between Harry and Ron in Mrs. Weasley's embrace.

"You saved her!" she cried. "You saved her! How did you do it?"

(Y/N) felt flustered, for she'd never been hugged so fiercely before. She wanted to hug Mrs. Weasley back, but with Harry and Ron pressed on either side of her arms, she couldn't move.

"I think we'd all like to know that," said Professor McGonagall, still pressing a hand to her chest. She looked as though she was trying to catch her breath. Beside her was Professor Dumbledore, looking no worse for wear after his excursion. (Y/N) was relieved to see him back.

Once Mrs. Weasley let them go, Harry explained everything from the beginning. The voices, the spiders, Hermione's notes. About Moaning Myrtle being the victim and guessing the Chamber entrance must've been in the bathroom. Even when he was done talking nearly half an hour later, McGonagall still had questions remaining.

"So you found out where the entrance was – breaking a hundred school rules to pieces along the way, I might add –" (Y/N) didn't see how that was relevant. "But how on earth did you get out of there alive?"

"Well," said Harry, voice hoarse from all the talking. "I owe it all to (Y/N) and Fawkes, really. They saved my life."

He began again, explaining how Fawkes arrived with the Sorting Hat and the sword, how he used the sword to kill the basilisk, and how (Y/N) destroyed the diary, killing Riddle and waking Ginny.

Dumbledore's eyes sparkled. "Am I correct in saying that diary is what Lord Voldemort used to enchant Ginny?"

"W-What's that?" Mr. Weasley sputtered. "You-Know-Who? En-Enchant Ginny? But Ginny's not – she hasn't been... Has she...?"

(Y/N) passed the diary to her headmaster. "It's here. He said he preserved his memory here when he was sixteen."

Dumbledore took it and observed it keenly. "Brilliant," he mused. "Of course, he was probably the most brilliant student Hogwarts has ever seen. Very few people know Lord Voldemort was once called Tom Riddle. I taught him myself, fifty years ago, at Hogwarts. He disappeared after leaving the school... traveled far and wide... sank so deeply into the Dark Arts, consorted with the very worst of our kind, underwent so many dangerous, magical transformations, that when he resurfaced as Lord Voldemort, he was barely recognizable. Hardly anyone connected Lord Voldemort with the clever, handsome boy who was once Head Boy here."

"But what's our Ginny got to do with him?" asked Mrs. Weasley.

With her bright brown eyes welling with tears, Ginny wailed, "His diary! I-I've been writing in it and he's been writing back all year—"

"Ginny! Haven't I taught you anything? What have I always told you? Never trust anything that can think for itself if you don't know where its brain is!" Mr. Weasley said. "Why didn't you show the diary to me or your mother? A suspicious object like that, it was clearly full of Dark Magic—"