Wizard's Chess

However, the peace was quickly disrupted.

As soon as (Y/N) gathered her bearings, a snakelike tendril made haste for her ankles. It curled around her quicker than she could resist, and before she knew it, more and more branches were bounding her to where she stood.

Her friends were in the same predicament. Poor Hermione was already covered up to her neck and Harry was struggling to wrench his arms free.

"Stop moving, all of you!" Hermione commanded. For someone so submerged, she sounded remarkably calm. "This is Devil's Snare! You have to relax. If you don't it'll only kill you faster."

"Kill us faster?" Repeated Ron, not doing anything in the slightest to heed Hermione's words. "Oh, now I can relax!"

Hermione still managed a thin smile before she was whisked away. (Y/N) yelped in surprise while the two boys cried, "Hermione!"

"Now what're we gonna do?" Cried Ron.

Hermione's voice came from somewhere down below. "Just relax!" She said.

(Y/N) wildly looked about. "Where are you?" She called.

"Just do what I say!"

(Y/N) tried her hardest to remember what she learned about Devil's Snare in Herbology. She didn't think it could mimic voices, but she didn't want to give in to a fake Hermione.

Before she could truly mull it over, Harry was pulled under, too. Ron screamed and squirmed, and even (Y/N) grew more panicked.

"Harry!" She shouted over Ron's cries. "What happened?"

"Hermione was right, (Y/N), just relax!" Harry called.

She looked to Ron, who was surely about to cry, and hoped that if Hermione's words didn't get through to him, Harry's would.

"Did you hear him?" She tried. "Relax, Ron!"

But he shook his head frantically, gazing at her through teary eyes. (Y/N) was running out of time, and so was he. She allowed herself to ease, even though her heart was still pounding. Before she knew it, she was a few feet down below, landing harshly on the ground.

Harry was quick to race to her side. "Are you alright?"

"Never mind me!" She still took his hand and allowed him to help her to her feet. "Ron isn't calming down!"

"We've got to do something!" Said Hermione.

"What?" Harry called over Ron's laments.

"I remember reading something in Herbology," Hermione said desperately. "Um... Devil's Snare Devil's Snare..."

(Y/N) suddenly remembered, clasping her hands together. "It's deadly fun--"

"But will sulk in the Sun!" The girls said together.

"Devil's Snare hates sunlight!" (Y/N) felt like she could sing. It seemed Hermione was right, all that studying did have a payoff for something. However, her pride in herself was shortlived, as Ron was still in trouble.

Hermione reached for her wand and pointed it up at the plant looming above. "Lumos Solem!"

Ron came tumbling down in the darkness, screaming as he fell. He collided hard with the ground, nearly bringing (Y/N) down with him. She staggered backward but Harry and Hermione raced to help Ron stand.

"You okay?" Harry asked.

"Yeah," Ron sounded like he was still in a daze. He got to his feet, brushed himself off, and then put his hands proudly on his hips as if he'd just accomplished something grand. "Whew! Lucky we didn't panic!"